BBC

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Richard

Re: BBC

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:11 pm

According to research published by The New Satesman, using a study by Cardiff University academics,including Mike Berry and funded by the BBC Trust, the BBC tends to reproduce a Conservative, Eurosceptic, pro-business version of the world, not a left-wing, anti-business agenda.
Voices arguing for the benefits of EU membership were very sparse. This was a consequence of Labour politicians being unwilling to make the positive case for Europe because of its perceived unpopularity amongst voters.
Conservatives get more airtime than Labour, bearing in mind that incumbents always receive more coverage than opposition politicians, so the evidence is clear that BBC does not lean to the left it actually provides more space for Conservative voices.
On BBC News at Six, business representatives outnumbered trade union spokespersons by more than five to one (11 vs 2) in 2007 and by 19 to one in 2012. On the issues of immigration and the EU in 2012, out of 806 source appearances, not one was allocated to a representative of organised labour. Considering the impact of the issues on the UK workforce, and the fact that trade unions represent the largest mass democratic organisations in civil society, such invisibility raises troubling questions for a public service broadcaster committed to impartial and balanced coverage.

cbe

Postby cbe » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:32 pm

I think the fact that Colin refutes my suggestion about 'fake news anti-BBC' rather proves my point.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:49 pm

Please specify exactly what it is that I am supposed to have refuted. I have sought some evidence from you to support your wild claim. I am willing to debate evidence. I have provided some evidence against your belief, over to you.
We need a public service broadcaster free of the influence and annoyance of advertising.

The World Service is well regarded across the world, not so much here in Britain we need to regain impartiality.

Do you have any evidence of left wing bias? Try and be honest and detailed

cbe

Postby cbe » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:24 pm

...and a public service broadcaster MUST be neutral. You will have seen my post on this thread Dec 28 7:55pm where I showed the precise section on impartiality. I can tell the political persuasion of every single one of their journalists - after a long time listening/watching.

You ask for evidence (pointless since you will not believe anything that anyone says if it does not fit your narrative) but listen to ANY 15 minute section of news on the BBC (OR Sky) and put your hand on the bible and tell me that they are not biased against the right of politics. They might not be biased enough towards YOUR 'left' since they are really Blair disciples - but the left it is !

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:28 am

There will be no time when I sit down and study whether Labour party or union spokespersons have received more BBC coverage than right wingers - a worthy exercise no doubt, but the fact is that like many people I find the minutiae of politics an utter bore and politicians largely untrustworthy and I have better things to do!

All I will say is that the actual statements on air by people like BBC's Laura K. and ITV's Robert Preston seemed to waver about in tone surprisingly day by day - I got the sinking feeling that they were seeking to make sensationalist points, absolutely not the calm, incisive analysis of events from someone like Robin Day. I also got the impression several times that BBC presenters were trying to insert their own political leanings into the debate on air.

As I said before, I endeavour to source news from all over, printed press, online etc. - and then try to assess what is really true and believable. Best one can do. (I don't have the direct line to absolute Truth from The Almighty which Colin is lucky to have access to!).

cbe

Postby cbe » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:18 am

Richard - You will forgive me if I regard The New Statesman with the same disdain that one of our fellow posters shows for The Daily Mail and the Daily Express. The fact that this report is featured in that organ tells me what its results will be. Nevertheless since you took the time to research that report I decided that I too should have at least, a cursory glance into it.
The first thing that struck me was that the report was requested by and funded by the BBC Trust !
followed quickly by the realisation that the first person named in the report, Sambrook, was an employee of the BBC for 30 years. My interest waned after that point. Others on that panel had previously done work for the BBC and just as a matter of interest, the TUC. Quelle surprise that their report finds that any bias seems to be slant in favour The Right.

With any 'report' I always try to find out (a) who funded it (b) who is on the panel doing the research

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:19 pm

The BBC Trust is now defunct but since there was a duty to be impartial what else could be done but to commission a report requested by and funded by the BBC Trust.
That was their duty and I did mention it was the BBC Trust body that was involved.
Now it is down to Ofcom as the new regulator and we will have to see what they have to say on the matter.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:29 pm

The first words of Richard's post which I read were "funded by the BBC". After that, I skipped through the post with increasing scepticism.

It's the same old story. Do we need another independent enquiry/commission costing a lot of cash and taking ages to report back - to tell us what many of the public know already?

We don't need the "personality" presenters trying to make their names as well as insert their own poliical leanings into the debate. There should be a return to strictly apolitical and scrupulously accurate news coverage - debate, political statements from left or right and personal views should all be separated out, clearly labelled as such - or broadcast on other channels altogether.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:05 pm

It is down to Ofcom now as the discredited BBC Trust has been superceded.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:25 am

The point I was making was that an Ofcom enquiry in itself will change very little. There needs to be a whole change of attitude within the BBC. The high ideals and quality of broadcasting which Reith aspired to have been somewhat left behind - maybe funding reviews and other imposed pressures will force the BBC to re-examine itself and what it stands for.

There has been too much of an attempt to compete with and outdo commercial TV broadcasters (who have access to vast amounts of finance). The BBC perhaps needs to return partially to its roots as a Public organisation and a Service.

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”