Corbyn NEVER lets you down

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Richard

Re: Corbyn NEVER lets you down

Postby Richard » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:20 pm

ColinL said:

'Richard "Claimants of UC who are members of a family unit situation and are employed (unemployed?) face very complicated calculations for their benfit assessment. It has led to many delays and underpayments.'
Yes! But this has always be the case (i.e pre- Universal Credit assessments) as the 'authorities' always have to look into whether the claimant receives benefits and advantages in a family situation i.e. whether they are in any way supported or not.

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:51 pm

I totally agree with your comment Richard, however Duncan Smith assured everyone that the system would make things more efficient and quicker response to changes. It has had the reverse effect and as I have said has created problems not only for claimants but also their landlords or mortgage companies. The system is spiralling out of control

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:00 pm

The whole question of unemployment benefits and the best or worst system used to support claimants is far too nebulous to consider on those basic solutions alone, right or wrong.
It is surely not in the interest of any government to see the unemployed statistics remaining high and it would arguably be far better for both parties to see employment going up.
People out of work may well suffer mental health and other medical problems, (or they may have had them already) sometimes invoked (via G.P.'s) in order to remain out of work, plus fraud cases are not exactly non-existent are they?
And some families are better off out of work in terms of the benefits they receive.
Some families have never worked for generations.
If the system is too generous then people will fail to look for work if they are better off by not working.
Adding to those issues we must also consider the case where some people without means of support are irresponsible in the knowledge that the State will pay for their care in old age.
People who have property or cash will have to spend it on private fees in a care home, whereas those who have spent everything irresponsibly will be supported free of charge.
Generally if you have any cash savings, beyond a fairly low amount, the system will penalise you for saving up for a rainy day.
The problem then, in part, is that if you have nothing the State will provide, yet if you have been prudent and not spent any money recklessly, then you will be pushed into poverty by the system before you can receive any help, free of charge.

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”