Brexit

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
cbe

Re: Brexit

Postby cbe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:18 pm

Richard - we have a trade surplus with every non EU country we deal with at the moment whereas with the EU we have a massive deficit every year. To 'earn' that deficit we have to pay a 'fee' of billions a year to the EU - This is Alice-in-Wonderland stuff. Once free of the EU shackles we can and will trade more widely with other countries.We will make our own rules for the benefit of the UK and there will be a boom.
If God wills it, you and I will have another conversation on our financial success outside the EU once we have been out for a year - so end of 2021. I am very confident that we will be streaking ahead of a moribund EU.

I would add, if I haven't already mentioned it, that for me and every person I know who voted for Brexit (I am only talking a couple of dozen admittedly) the issue was never about finance - that is just an added bonus. The issue was and is Sovereignty. Everyone I know feels the same way, though not all mention the word.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 pm

1) The 'fee' does not relate to the trade surplus.
And don't forget the rebate, and also it doesn’t represent the total economic costs and benefits of EU membership to the UK.
In 2017, the UK's ‘public sector receipts’ are estimated to be £4.3 billion.
The EU makes grants directly to the private sector, such as research grants. In 2016, these were worth an estimated £2.3 billion.
A membership fee also isn’t the same as the total economic cost or benefit of EU membership.
Being in the EU cost us money but did it not also create trade, jobs and investment that are worth more?
The issue of how much we will save on the fee we pay to the EU was voiced loudly by Boris when he said we could spend it on the NHS instead. Rather misleading don't you think?
It matters less now as we are leaving, but misleading information abounded in the run-up.
As you say, we shall see how it all pans out in time.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/strateg ... plan-uk_en

https://researchbriefings.parliament.uk ... y/CBP-7847

cbe

Postby cbe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:45 pm

The precise reason I didn't post a number on the billions we pay the EU was so that we didn't get into the yes it is/no it isn't petty squabbles about rebates. I know full well about the rebate and the fact that Tony Blair gave up most of it - for nothing.
Pedantry isn't going to help - I know the 'fee' isn't supposed to relate to the trade balance but it is still a fact that we pay billions in and get very little out. Trade of course produces jobs and more trade with the rest of the world on terms of our own making will produce much more trade and therefore many more jobs. Investment comes all on it's own and will bury us in finance once we are free to set our rules and rates.
The EU's 'grants' are with OUR money. We see signs everywhere ' this or that was done with the help of the EU. They HAVE to show those signs and you will know that the EU picks what parts of the country or the infrastucture will benefit and then WE have to match 'their' grant.
Strange that you mention the word 'benefit ' in relation to EU membership.
I was getting tired of speaking to Colin and telling him that I am not a supporter of Boris Johnson but here it is again. That should help you rto understand that I am not defending him or anyone in government when I say that NO-ONE, apart from Fake News, said that (and I am trying to paraphrase what you have said) the fee we pay to the NHS will go on the NHS.

Misleading information did indeed abound at the time of the referendum and the vast majority of it came from the 'intelligentsia (ha ha) shall we start to list all the claims they made, NONE of which came to fruition? These claims were made that merely by voting LEAVE would produce dire results never mind the actual leaving.

Oh dear oh dear oh dear

cbe

Postby cbe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:46 pm

correction 'fee we pay to the EU will go to the NHS'

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:46 pm

A simple referendum (promised by Cameron in order to get into power) soon allowed populism to sway the hearts and minds, with Farage keeling the greasy pot.
The Tories had to comply with the referendum result, as it was their issue, and Labour felt unable to commit, as it was not their call.
T. May was unable to persuade Parliament to agree (as Labour would do anything to thwart the Tories) and Boris then used the chance of a General Election to confirm the referendum result.
I voted to leave the EU, but not on account of financial costs of membership, or Farage or the Boris Bus, more on the devolution of power to the jackanapes (upstarts) in Brussels calling all the shots ad the EU admitting too many countries with economic woes.
A sovereign nation has to take a stand against the slings and arrows when they feel overwhelmed by foreign interference.

cbe

Postby cbe » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:17 pm

#metoo

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:14 am

Brexit_Dutch view.jpg

cbe

Postby cbe » Fri Jan 31, 2020 8:21 am

We got off the sinking ship just in time

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:11 pm

Er ... the cartoon shows the British flag being carried away from EU shores - presumably WE are on that ship.

Is someone suggesting that the vessel might be going down?!

Hopefully it is the EU landmass which is sinking. Well, the sea level is rising, so I suppose that amounts to the same thing ..

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”