Brexit

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
seahermit

Brexit

Postby seahermit » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:07 am

The Great Day will be in a few days' time. Will anybody notice the difference? Probably not. (Except for some of Boris's fireworks etc. - to celebrate an non-event, not unlike the Millennium Dome!). Not for quite a while anyway, a lot of arguing and bad-tempered negotiations before the real disentanglement happens.

There are differing views on how Boris should go about it. See below.
Attachments
BREXIT CAT.jpg

Derek Jempson

Re: Brexit

Postby Derek Jempson » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:35 am

Ten years from now, I wonder how all of this will be viewed? Will it be with relief and joy or regret and angst? Personally, I anticipate the former and hope I live to see it.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:32 am

If only I could believe Boris wanted to leave. There are too many troughs available as long as we are in the EU and that is very tempting to politicians, which is why we've had the trouble we've had. In the end I am hoping his personal vanity will make him commit to a true Brexit and get his name in the history books, front and centre.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Jan 26, 2020 11:25 am

That's why I posted the pic. Sinking feelings. Boris is promoting 31st January as something joyful, to be celebrated, new beginning. The reality is that the last year has been very painful, with bitter feelings on both sides and with far from a decisive and clear resolution.

The only people feeling joy will be the hardened Brexiteers. The rest of us have very mixed feelings, relief that the turmoil has lessened, anxiety about whether the negotiations will bring about a true separation or a considerable degree of fudging and compromise.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:01 pm

Cat Sit Negotiations.jpg

cbe

Postby cbe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:35 pm

seahermit - this is the moment I 'out' myself - I am a 'hardened' Brexiteer, though the term
has always puzzled me and I thought, up to this point had only been used by those wishing to water down the meaning of 'Brexit'.
You Leave or you REMAIN - there is no hard and no soft

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:15 pm

Well, in that sense I am the same, was in a fantastic mood after the election and felt very much that the UK was going in the right direction again.

But the anxieties remain. Richard's hilarious cartoon may be uncomfortably near to the truth. A lot of big businesses and politicians were doing quite well out of the largesse from the EU gravy train. It will be a harder path for the UK to make it's own arrangements, not rely so much on cheap labour from Eastern Europe etc. There will be resistance and pressure upon government, and of course the EU can be expected to make things as difficult as possible based on past performance.

We will no doubt hear more of the details as negotiations get under way, but it won't be an easy year.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:28 pm

I guess people will want to do trade regardless and new routes will be explored.
Trump's America will benefit and there will nothing generous without reciprocal agreements.
No sentiment in trade.
We were performing badly before we joined the EU and now we are thriving, let's hope something positive emerges.
Banking and finance may have some hiccups and major employers based overseas may start up manufacturing plants in other countries, where the labour force is cheaper, depending on the costs of relocating, etcetera.
Surely someone has run the slide-rule over the benefits of Brexit and believes we will be better off overall?

cbe

Postby cbe » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:15 pm

Well the ordinary man-in-the-street will not have bothered with that. It was merely about being rule makers as opposed to takers. Be your own masters.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:31 pm

roller coaster.jpg

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”