Parody

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Richard

Re: Parody

Postby Richard » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:10 pm

Dickens was a master but the detail was often overwhelmingly both depressing and oppressive.
Henry Fielding a magistrate and author greatly influenced him.
The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling (1749), employed the character of Tom Jones; Fielding made the novel accessible and interesting to a whole new middle-class reading public.
Dickens followed in Fielding’s footsteps by using fiction to openly address political and social issues. Fielding made literature more egalitarian; while the novel had previously focused on members of the upper classes and their lives, Fielding opened up the genre. Dickens furthered that work with tales like Oliver Twist and A Christmas Carol.
Charles Dickens’ sixth son was born on January 16, 1849 he named his son Henry Fielding Dickens, after legendary 18th-century author Henry Fielding. Though Dickens was born too late to meet Fielding.
Fielding wrote satirical plays, i.e. 'Pasquin, a Dramatic Satire of the Times', which was performed 60 times in only three months. The play attacked the administration of Sir Robert Walpole, portraying the government as rife with corruption. His next play, 'The Historical Register for the Year 1736' was censored by Walpole’s administration.
After that, it was virtually impossible to produce a satirical play, and Fielding found his career as a dramatist at an abrupt end.
Fielding, as many know, also had a very successful career as magistrate, being, for example, co-founder of London’s first police force, the Bow Street Runners, but he never stopped writing.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:36 am

You are a mine of information, Richard. Quite fascinating. So, despite all the satire in art and literature of the 17th/18th centuries (Hogarth etc.), there were periods when censorship won. Nowadays, I think (and hope ) they would be out on the streets with banners about that!

I do notice that the new Spitting Image is not available on mainstream channels - is that because of the PC climate etc.?

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:54 am

Spitting Image 2020 was commissioned by and is only available on 'Britbox', which costs £5.99 per month. I think you may get S.I. on Amazon Fire-stick, android phones and tablets, and Freesat (the streaming version), plus many other platforms.
Too much technology bursting out in the ether.
I await the day when my TV can stream with built in modem/router or whatever the infernal contraptions are called.

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”