Expensive fares (for unnecessary journeys) on the rail network

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
seahermit

Expensive fares (for unnecessary journeys) on the rail network

Postby seahermit » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:59 am

Just thought these extracts might amuse some people during this dismal time - from a fascinating website (and very useful too for my trip-planning): https://www.railforums.co.uk/ These fares are all quoted somewhere on the National Rail site.

"Most pointless journey for which a fare is available

London King's Cross to St. Pancras International via Finsbury Park - £6.50 single/£4.30 Railcard single

The one that gets wheeled out every time anyone wants to moan about the cost of rail travel - the Anytime First Class Return from Penzance to Wick that costs over a grand. No-one has, or ever will, buy it.

Today a return standard class return from Penzance - Wick with railcard seems to be possible for about £450. With split ticketing probably less. Quite a lot of changes and night travel, but doable. I suspect it's been done and could be a rail enthusiasts challenge.

I wonder how many people buy the annual First Class season ticket between Berwick Upon Tweed and London Kings Cross, which was roughly around the £42,000 mark last time I checked.

Two on London Underground .. I understand that a number of foreign visitors buy a £4.50 single to go on the Piccadilly Line from Covent Garden to Leicester Square a distance of less than quarter of a mile or 5 minutes walk. Embankment to Charing Cross is also 5 minutes walk along Villiers Street.

I'm not good enough at using the National Rail site to find a ticket from Waterloo to Waterloo East, but I'm sure someone can find one. Edit: I stand corrected - http://www.brfares.com/#!fares?orig=WAT&dest=WAE - £19 for a walk round the corner! Assuming a TC is really the cheapest fare...

Crofton Park -> Honor Oak Park - £4.70 for a paper single ticket (Route Via London not Underground). Walking it's a bit under 3/4 mile (so about 15 min). By rail, the quickest journey is 46min via Blackfriars and London Bridge

A local journey which always causes some bewilderment is the journey 'between' the neighbouring towns of Billericay and Basildon in Essex (about 5 miles apart ) with the Train taking about 1hr 43mins costing £15.50 and walking which also takes exactly the same 1hr 43mins!"

Richard

Re: Expensive fares (for unnecessary journeys) on the rail network

Postby Richard » Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:14 pm

I wouldn't be planning trips anytime soon seahermit.
As long as you are healthy and happy you can relax and let it all wash over you.

seahermit

Re: Expensive fares (for unnecessary journeys) on the rail network

Postby seahermit » Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:52 am

I can't wait to shoot off somewhere and forget this terrible year ! But I probably WILL have to wait .. for some months atleast. But planning it and scanning the websites for cheap train fares and good BnB's will be part of the enjoyment.

Hope you have a very good Christmas, Richard, and everyone of course. Peaceful it has to be this year, but we'll appreciate it all the more when things improve.

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”