Dogs Barking !

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
number9

Dogs Barking !

Postby number9 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:21 pm

I've read that dog napping is estimated to have gone up by over 200%

Dogs at the moment are only regarded by the courts as property and do not have a significant sentence if the thieves actually get caught.

I am not a dog owner but I can understand the torment suffered by owners who's dogs are stolen from under their noses whether off lead or on lead.
I've heard, some dog owners taking their pets for a walk are being followed back to their homes.

Has anyone on here taken extra precautions to protect their pet ?
Last edited by number9 on Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

Re: Stealing Dogs

Postby Richard » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:32 pm

We are basically selfish and often seem to care more about dogs than humans.
Because we enjoy the pleasure we get from the interaction.
Dogs are not judgemental.
They are loyal, they bond and are good company, they typically want to be loved.

Certain breeds are valuable and a target for thieves.
Pet theft is covered by existing laws, stealing a pet is a criminal offence under the Theft Act 1968, for which the maximum penalty is seven years' imprisonment.

1 quart

Postby 1 quart » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:22 pm

it’s noticeable how many people love dogs in hastings and pedigree pets are a big target but all are at risk as thieves wait for rewards to be offered

most pet owners have an outside space so make sure the garden is secure and a good idea to put a bell on a garden gate so’s you can hear if it’s opened

think twice before leaving your dog tied outside shops or left in an unattended car

vary your times of walks and routes and be wary of strangers asking questions about your dog

when in a public place dogs should always wear a collar and id tag with your name & address, a mobile no. is a good idea, but not to put the name of the dog on the tag

all dogs, and puppies from 8 weeks old, should be microchipped, and the details kept up to date then if lost / stolen report it to microchip database and if anyone tries to re-register the chip no. you’ll be informed

dogs are so much more valuable than only in monetary terms. i believe there are trackers you can use on collars to instantly find your dog but i think if possible they ought to develop some sort of gps that can be incorporated in to the microchip and that might discourage the thieves

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:38 pm

According to a lady friend, cats are currently being stolen in St. Leonards.
Especially pretty ones.
As with dogs it seems very heartless to do this sort of thing.

Some dogs are being stolen in order to extract money for their return.
I believe Lady Gaga's dog walker was shot and she had to pay a huge amount for the return of her pet and the hospital fees for the walker.

Some dogs are being stolen to be used on 'puppy farms' for breeding purposes, of course not those neutered already.

number9

Re: Dogs Barking !

Postby number9 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:07 pm

I edited the title of this post because I wanted to bring up the subject of dogs barking.
Now the weather is warmer and we can have the windows open I've started hearing the sound
of a dog barking in the early hours of the morning and nobody seems to be there to calm the dog or stop it's continuous deep bark. I'm guessing its a larger animal from the sound of the barking and this then causes other dogs to sometimes bark back.
I don't think it's a fox because they seem to have a higher pitch and more yappy sound
Luckily for me it seems to be a couple of streets down and I only notice it sometimes but I wonder what the people who live closer must think.

Richard

Re: Dogs Barking !

Postby Richard » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:15 am

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”