TV - Eye

If it's not Hastings related post it here! Politics, religion, whatever you like!
Richard

TV - Eye

Postby Richard » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:59 am

Have you watched any of the series called 'Aerial America' by The Smithsonian Institute?
It is available in the U.K. on Freeview channel 57,, Sky, Virgin and Freesat.
Stunning aerial views by helicopter and drone of U.S. states, combined with narration by Jim Conrad
Provides potted histories. landmarks etcetera.

Relaxing viewing for a lazy day!!

seahermit

Re: TV - Eye

Postby seahermit » Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:20 am

Durhh ... This series is excellent for people who have difficulty with sleeping at night and need to catch-up by dozing on the sofa.

I suppose these programmes have their place but they are very light, like Joanna Lumley, Clive Anderson and other faded celebrities trying to get you enthused about the local culture in Uzbekistan. There seem to be endless "travelogue" programmes on TV currently, about places I have never heard of, and I am most unlikely to ever try sheeps' bladder stews or tarantulas on toast.

The only one which really holds me is Michael Portillo's train journeys - because there is a lot of history there and an intelligent look at the way towns rise and fall in popularity and economic prominence.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:52 am

Mother used to like the polished performance of Portillo - an affable old boy.
Easy-viewing from her recliner armchair.
She complained a lot about his constant advertising of the timetable bible (Bradshaw's) though.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:39 pm

I can see how the repeated intrusion of Bradshaw could be irritating, but that is of course the gimmick which holds the whole thing together and makes the programme quaint and offbeat.

I find it entertaining how Portillo introduces some town with Bradshaw's eloquent eulogies about a genteel watering place set in a traditional English landscape .. and then he walks out of the station into the standard urban setting, concrete blocks having replaced some of the previous lovely buildings and harassed-looking shoppers in scruffy anoraks dashing into M&S and Boots in the background!

Return to “Non-Hastings Chat”