Best mobile phone manufacturer (poll)

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.

Which would you choose if you were to replace your phone right now?

HTC
33%
Samsung
44%
Apple
No votes
Motorola
No votes
Sony
11%
Nokia
11%

Total votes: 9

Geoff
Site Admin

Best mobile phone manufacturer (poll)

Postby Geoff » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:39 pm

Vote for up to two manufacturers that you would recommend by checking the boxes above. You may change your votes at any time by simply unchecking and re-checking the boxes.

Note to new users: you must be logged in to the forum in order to post or vote.

moonjiver

Re: Best mobile phone manufacturer (poll)

Postby moonjiver » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:47 pm

As with a lot of questionnaires, it's impossible to give a straight answer! Technically the top-selling Samsungs probably have the best specifications, also bigger than I-phones and lovely-looking. I prefer the dark, non-metallic look of some of the HTCs and the slightly more user-friendly way the menus work. The Moto phones are also big and lovely-looking - and the specifications try to rival the competition. Stick a pin in!

The Sony phones and Nokias don't have the same nice contours, some of them positively ugly I feel, and lose on specification.

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:09 pm

I went for HTC the first smart phone I owned was a wildfire, liked it.

Then rather foolishly got a Sony xperia mini pro, which kept sliding open and ringing up people whilst in my pocket, a few months after I started my current job, it ended up ringing a colleague whilst I was stood outside the Brass Monkey very late over the weekend. He let me off because I was young and new-ish :oops:

Then I got a HTC Desire, which was good phone and served me well until I went and dropped it and smashed the screen after a night out with my football team (they always end up blurry!) then tried to fix the screen myself and made it worse.

Was then forced to get a new phone which was a Samsung Galaxy S2, worse phone EVER!
Couple of months back, went back to HTC with the Desire 610.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Ah, now you've got me interested. The HTC Desire 610 is one I have my eye on, pretty reasonable price now and a big screen. What are your thoughts, are you a happy customer?

I thought the Samsung Galaxy 2 was nice looking but the menus seemed more complicated and not very user-friendly. I only had that phone for three weeks before going back to a small HTC!

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:52 pm

I'm very happy with the 610, to be honest I'd be happy with most mobile phones after my useless Samsung!

I'm happy that I can now answer the phone without it messing up, obsessively check up on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, it's also nice having a camera that can actually zoom! Got a couple of decent pictures sitting on the bench at football yesterday!

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:50 pm

Think I'll go for an HTC 'Wildfire' eventually - there are plenty on eBay and cheap too !!

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:32 pm

Presumably you mean s/h phones on EBay, because the Wildfire S (replacing the Wildfire) is now about three years old. It is an excellent phone, I had one, got a Samsung Galaxy S2 which I disliked, went back to another Wildfire S!

All these things depend on what one wants to use the phone for - being small, this model is good for carrying around in a pocket but still does most of the important internet stuff.
However, the larger screens nowadays give you a completely different experience, lovely for viewing images, videos etc. and spacious for typing. And the phones are so advanced now (and so much cheaper than they used to be) that it's hard to justify going for an older model - plenty of good new phones large and small around, also fierce competition. I reckon we are somewhat spoilt!

The only reason I haven't upgraded just yet is that I spent £400 on a Nikon D3200 camera - it's a beauty but I'm rather preoccupied for now with trying to understand it!

Return to “Technology Chat”