Applications not downloading on smartphone

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
moonjiver

Applications not downloading on smartphone

Postby moonjiver » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:07 pm

I have an odd problem with my HTC Desire 610, never happened before. Opening the Google Play menu displays recently downloaded apps etc. but it also shows any apps which are waiting to be updated or going through that process.

Several basic apps are currently updating - Facebook, Google, Gmail, Google Drive, YouTube etc. But the updating is going on forever, seems to be every time I check. It might have been going on since yesterday!

Very odd. Is there something preventing the updating from completing properly? I've had a few phishing emails and an increase in spam lately, so I'm always jumpy about things getting onto the phone, especially as there have been a few viruses attacking Android phones.

It may be a quite separate problem but I've also had trouble deleting old AOL emails - they disappear from the inbox but return when I switch the phone on again! Presumably a sync. problem, but I can't see why.

Any thoughts please from anyone?

tcheerfool

Re: Applications not downloading on smartphone

Postby tcheerfool » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:50 pm

I don't know but could the phone be full? Some apps can consume a lot of ressource too. There is a little mobile phone shop next to the Smokemart in town, where they also do mobile phones and tablets repairs and upgrades. Maybe they could advise you?

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:13 pm

Do you know what the shop is called tcheerfool? I often get asked where to take phones for screen repair etc and some local shops do seem a bit of a rip off. If you know that place is good then I will suggest it when it comes up again.

tcheerfool

Postby tcheerfool » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:09 am

Yes Geoff it's called Phone Tech. They repaired and upgraded my Android tablet for a reasonable price.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:03 pm

I appreciate the responses. It's tricky with these Android phones because there are dozens of apps stored on my HTC, maybe many dozens, they all take up space and also consume download allowance every time they want to update.

Many of them are completely unnecessary, kids's games and social network things I've never even heard of. I have disabled a lot of these to reduce the irritation of constant updates.

What I think has happened (happened before I think too) is that something which downloaded changed the phone's settings (sometimes a warning comes up that this may happen). After much searching, I found that downloads/updates could only happen by Wi-Fi - but the wi-fi is actually switched off, so the apps were constantly searching for a non-existent Wi-Fi signal in order to update themselves!

After the settings were switched back to normal, with permission also being needed before an update could download, the updates took place quickly and all seems ok.

Hope this makes sense and my assessment is sort of correct.

The mobile shop in question will be very handy if more problems arise.

Return to “Technology Chat”