Advice please on Facebook etc.

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
moonjiver

Advice please on Facebook etc.

Postby moonjiver » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:12 pm

I am afraid I use other people's brains to rather more than my fair share .. But I do find this a great forum, especially helpful when I am trying to resolve issues.

I have a Facebook account - not in my real name, because I regard FB as highly intrusive and I have been wary of splashing my name or other info around on the internet. I have had ateast one nutcase in Hastings stalking me, assaulting me and threatening to kill me (no joke, he was deeply schizo and eventually the police were involved).

But people who are interested in my writing and (lately) my photography keep asking me about a website, so I think it's overdue that I get more modern and use FB much more to my advantage by some networking (I'm also starting a website shortly).

Does anyone have any quick, off-the-cuff suggestions as to keeping reasonably secure and private? I have no interest whatsoever in having hundreds of "Friends" across the globe! Doesn't leave time to read a good book ..

What about other social networks? Tumblr maybe? Would they be less enormous than FB and better suited to my purposes (mainly a showcase I suppose)?

moonjiver

Re: Advice please on Facebook etc.

Postby moonjiver » Fri Oct 23, 2015 5:16 pm

I should have made clear that I'm thinking of biting the bullet and opening a new FB account in my real name. Unless I try a different networking site ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:22 pm

I have more respect for Twitter than FB.
So scary to hear that you were being stalked and threatened - that really is disgusting behaviour!!

roy

Postby roy » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:49 pm

Why not start your own blog and then you can link to facebook,maybe worth a try.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:47 am

Thanks Roy, good suggestion. I'd forgotten about the blogging idea. I don't have enough time at the moment to devote to my own blog on a regular basis but maybe later .. I did for a while enjoy myself contributing to Blogster.com - colourful and lively site but largely USA orientated. Maybe I'll start again on a site nearer home.

Twitter yes maybe - more anonymous than FB? But very brief posts, not quite a writers' website. Maybe for "brief" writers!

I was hoping for some tips about other sites for posting images/text - maybe we are too old for all that!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:25 am

you can create blogs on wordpress and link to any social networking site

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks, some useful ideas there. I was thinking along those lines - a social network site linked to a blog. I have friends who use Wordpress.

I should do more on the internet, but been out much more than in lately! I have browsed for a few helpful topics like "best/most popular networking sites" - some people are heavily obsessed with these things, thousands of followers to their blogs and all that. I'm not convinced it's really important .. And there are an awful lot of blogs out there - who has the time to read them?

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:07 pm

If anyone needs hosting for Wordpress I can set it up nice and cheap for you.
Domain, hosting and latest Wordpress installed ready to go = £35 per year (no VAT) ;)

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:00 pm

Thanks Geoff, I'll bear that in mind. I've just opened an honest FB account (in my real name!) and moving slowly towards a website and checking out the myriad options.

I think Wordpress can refer to two sites, yes? The website-building tool and the blogging site - not sure if I've got that correct!

I tried some website-building tools in the early days, Freewebs was popular. I was too green to be very good and some of the basic sites were very clunky. Google Pages I liked but it was frought with problems, got a lot of complaints and disappeared eventually.

Return to “Technology Chat”