Best sites for photo-sharing by multiple users

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
moonjiver

Best sites for photo-sharing by multiple users

Postby moonjiver » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:11 am

One of the things I am trying to do currently is set up a profile with a site like Flikr, Photobucket etc. in order to upload and share my own photos.

I have a friend who takes a lot of photos on his small smartphone (he's rather good too) but he doesn't have a computer and is not confident enough to be able to manage his own account with FB or a photo-sharing site.

Would anyone care to suggest simple ways I can "rope him in" and encourage him to participate? I am thinking along the lines of creating my own account somewhere, but in some way allowing him equal access so that he can upload files from his phone (or share them with me) any time he wants.

Derek Jempson

Re: Best sites for photo-sharing by multiple users

Postby Derek Jempson » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:21 am

The possibilities are endless - an Internet search for "photo sharing sites" brings up the usual bewildering plentitude of options. What you need to think about is whether the uploaded photos are to be publicly or privately available. If you make the photos publicly available, you can kiss goodbye to any thoughts of copyright ownership as anyone can download and use them. For instance, I have uploaded photos to this site to illustrate a post and later found that another entirely different site was using my photos without permission.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:52 am

DErek is righjt, there are lots ou there.
Also, free sites are typically restricted in the number of pictures you can upload, or are cluttered with adverts until you pay.
Most allow private and public viewing, except with Flickr you can only get private by linking.
Photobucket is simple, 'Thislife' by Shutterfly:
https://www.thislife.com/

most ISP's, Google+ etcetera.

I like photobucket, it's been around for ages but not sure if that is relevant.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:25 am

Thanks for the helpful comments. I did reply but my post disappeared later!! Does that happen very often?

Yes, there are a lot of photo sites out there, that's why I was hoping to narrow it down a bit! Simpler the better for now. I also feel it's safer to go with some of the well-established sites, to avoid obscure websites suddenly disappearing, as a number of online file-storage sites seem to have done.

I think inevitably some images get stolen. A couple of my poems were taken and offered "for download" - probably along with a free gratis virus for your computer!

Return to “Technology Chat”