Beam Me Up, Scotty

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
Richard

Beam Me Up, Scotty

Postby Richard » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:55 pm

Why do I have to sign in every time using my e-mail and password to access my e-mail.
This never used to happen until recently and now I have to use email address and password every single time.
Yahoo and Google are both doing this to me all the time and sometimes Gmail demands a code sent to me by my mobile.
No one can get to my computer, so pls don't tell me it is for my own good, in fact don't even answer if there is no easy fix!!

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Beam Me Up, Scotty

Postby Geoff » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:43 pm

I use something called Roboform which remembers all my usernames and passwords for websites. Makes life a lot easier and your passwords can be as randomly generated (un-guessable) as you like. When you visit a site that you have previously added to roboform it fills in the u/n and p/w and proceeds to log you in. One of my better investments ;)

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:14 am

Richard, I don't have that problem at all with this site, or any other. Once I've logged-in and allowed Windows to store the log-in, I remain logged-in indefinitely. Perhaps you've got something like C Cleaner running in the background, constantly deleting cookies as fast as they are created? Another possibility is that you have your browser set to not accept cookies.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:37 pm

Geoff, thanks 'Roboform' looks really useful.

Derek, I think I previously declined to save the password and it is a bit of a faff trying to reset it to remember.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:46 pm

The beauty of Roboform is if you work with several browsers (Chrome, Firefox etc) then the stored logins are available in all of them. No more relying on each browser to save the passwords individually.
You can also export your whole password database and move it to another machine if you upgrade, or run a laptop as well as desktop PC.
I sound like an advert for Roboform, but honestly you will never go back once you've tried it.

Return to “Technology Chat”