Laser or Inkjet?

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
Richard

Laser or Inkjet?

Postby Richard » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:11 pm

Is it better to buy a laser printer if you only need black & white printing but inkjet if you need colour?
Samsung, Brother and Canon are rated as the most reliable (by Which magazine) in that order.
Samsung only make laser printers and therefore it is perhaps an unfair comparison.
Mono laser printing running costs should be cheaper anyway.
Colour laser jet printers seem to have larger ink-cartridges and should be more economical in the long term, although the initial cost nay be higher compared to Ink jet printers.

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Laser or Inkjet?

Postby Geoff » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:26 am

It all depends what quantities you want to print.

Laser printers (and their consumables) are more expensive to buy but will do far more prints, so is considerably cheaper in the long run. Lasers are also much faster if you are doing lots of copies.

However, for colour work (photos etc) you would have to spend many thousands to get a laser printer that would match the output quality from even a £50 inkjet.

Personally I have a trusty old HP mono laser printer that does all my mono printing (quickly and cheaply) and a Canon inkjet which I switch to for anything that needs colour or a photo quality print.

Hope that helps.

Richard

Re: Laser or Inkjet?

Postby Richard » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:59 am

Thanks Geoff, sounds like good advice, think I'll stick to mono laser and use colouring pencils when I need to do something fancy :)

Return to “Technology Chat”