Watching catch-up TV

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
Insomniac

Re: Watching catch-up TV

Postby Insomniac » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:26 pm

I'm going back about 8-9 years with those charges (was it really that long ago!?) so they've probably gone up, but yes £1 isn't a bad charge and like you say it depends on how much you use. I probably now use a lot more data than I did back then, what with me streaming and downloading the odd game off Steam, plus living with my wife who also streams a lot of content, unlimited's the only way!!

We're with Talk Talk, formerly Tesco Broadband and have been fine with fair usage.

I remember looking into those wireless adapters Geoff mentions ages ago, but wasn't convinced they'd be reliable, but if a guy like Geoff who knows his stuff gives them the thumbs up, I guess I made the wrong choice. I currently use a usb dual band wireless adapter which seems to do the job for me.

Oh and I noticed the note at the bottom of the main forum page, happy birthday Geoff old boy!! :)
Last edited by Insomniac on Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:25 am

Some very useful stuff here, thanks to all. I'm shamelessly copying and printing things out for studying.

Interesting about ISPs. My friend against my advice was talked into signing up to TalkTalk (they get a lot of complaints) - they are ripping him off, charging him 50% more than myself just for a phone line and keep taking too much money out of his account (which he has to reclaim). He's locked in for another year!

By comparison, PlusNet seem to have a good reputation for service and when there are problems.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:43 am

Nothing is simple:
Fire TV Stick doesn't work with my Samsung Smart TV - I think I have to get a software update for the TV somehow :(

Meanwhile I am still searching for a means to receive i-player on my tv but I don't want to pay £200 or so for a freeview play box.
Freeview Play has only just been launched so is not available built-in on most pre-2015 TV's jusy yet.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/132739- ... n-i-get-it

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:42 pm

scrub all that, my 'fire tv stick' works fine now - but only because I had a spare HDMI cable as the widget supplied would not connect directly into the back of my tv set.

time to play!!
:D

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:49 pm

I'm surprised at the difficulty of connecting TV so as to watch I-player. My TV is a couple of years old, came with freeview, so far as I know there would be no problem relaying I-player to the TV but obviously not as simple as that!

Don't know what Freeview Play Box is, nor really a Firestick!

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:08 pm

firestick is just a streaming video device connecting remotely to the the internet.
You could even use a computer monitor if it has speakers and an HDMI port that supports HD Content Protection.

Return to “Technology Chat”