Pop-up Spamware? on my computer

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
Richard

Pop-up Spamware? on my computer

Postby Richard » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:47 pm

I used AVG for protection, basic version for years but after trying the Pro' protection it now installs a pop-up to remind me that it has expired and it won't go away, no matter what.
It used to go away but now it sits there filling 1/4 of my screen.
Apart from removing the whole shebang, which I am about to do, does anyone have a better solution or a better antivirus program?
The AVG customer support just say that it is legitimate software and they don't care to help.

I've heard of 'Panda' and 'Avira' so may just take a chance there.

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Pop-up Spamware? on my computer

Postby Geoff » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:55 pm

I use Avast (free version), and although it does have nagging popups that appear every couple of days, at least you can close them easily enough. It seems to provide pretty good protection in conjunction with your standard WIndows Defender (full version has been shipped free with Win8 and everything since).

I used to swear by AVG in the earlier days but it slowed my system down too much. Perhaps not such an issue with modern hardware so I may try again one day, but not the paid for version if it's grief when you downgrade.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:50 am

Thanks Geoff!
I was given the option to 'recover' my basic version during my attempt to remove it.
That worked out and everything is back to normal now.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:46 pm

I can't believe what I'm reading, that AVG of all people initiate pop-ups on the screen which can't be removed! Smacks of extreme hypocricy - we'll block other invasive rubbish but slip in one of our own.

Atleast the adblockers and so on which I installed on my phone seemed to eventually work. Dreading when I hook up the computer online though!! Ir hasn't come yet - John Lewis won't give me ANY delivery date. More rude phone calls today from me ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:36 pm

Avast still wasting my time with pop-ups, time to switch to another anti-virus program if it continues.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:42 pm

At least you can close the popup though Richard, unlike your reports about AVG.

What you've got to remember is these companies are providing a free service for you. An easily closed popup every couple of days is fair enough in my eyes. We've all got to make a living to survive and to be honest I think we're lucky to have free software at all.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:02 am

Geoff - you're right, we should pay or accept ads, to an extent, except this is a nag rather than an ad, as such, since we alkready know about it.
Perhaps better if AVG copied the 'free for 90 days' and then prevent it running or being re-installed, unless you pay, like some of the heavyweight stallwarts.
I see the EU (BEREC) is attempting to stop ad-blocking on mobile networks citing 'net neutrality' legislation.
Otherwise networks could block adverts in, example, Google which would damage its revenues and might be seen as extortion if they ran a 'whitelist' of approved advertisers who coughed up the money to be allowed through.
At the least it would be unfair discrimination!

On a slightly different level, I wouldn't mind paying a small fee to get an email service without junk mail and with a filtering system that only allowed emails from those who I approved, and it remembered my choices.
:D

Return to “Technology Chat”