Streaming films

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
seahermit

Streaming films

Postby seahermit » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:47 pm

I hardly watch TV, not impressed by much of what's on there. But Rowan Atkinson is terrific as Maigret - and there is another episode on Sunday, Christmas Eve! Worth rushing home for after the pub. I have always loved the Simenon novels, intense psychological dramas.

But I miss the good classic films and I have so far identified several great free websites. Archive.org has crowds of old films (and modern ones, old TV programmes, videos etc.) - Buster Keaton's The General, Great Expectations, One of Our Aicraft is Missing, old thrillers, westerns etc. I spent a hugely enjoyable hour watching Day of the Triffids and I have bookmarked about 20 films for when the weather turns freezing again!

Another good one is Viewster and you can also get some odd classics on YouTube if you do a search and then cough up a mere £2,50 a time.

By far the best one for old-film addicts is Cinema Paradiso. Does what LoveFilm used to do, for £7 a month you can rent 4 DVDs a month, to watch with a friend on those nights when you don't fancy going out.

Richard

Re: Streaming films

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:18 pm

Rowan Atkinson is rather good in Maigret - I will look forward to that - thank you!
Unless I can stream films onto my TV (as per Amazon Prime) I don't think much of the 'free' offerings.
The best Christmas TV I have ever seen is the Charles Dickens re-hash called 'Dickensian' discontinued and no longer available on i-player, now on Netflix only and you have to pay for that.
:o

Return to “Technology Chat”