Repeated "out-of-date settings" message from MS

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
seahermit

Repeated "out-of-date settings" message from MS

Postby seahermit » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:11 pm

Would anyone please know why I am getting these messages on my PC every single day? In New Notifications:"Your account settings are out-of-date in Mail or Calendar for Windows 10".

I have not changed the MS Outlook password for some time, so it can hardly be an incorrect password.

The other common cause apparently is a certificate error but I have not had any messages along the lines of "There is a problem with the server's security certificate".

I have an Outlook email account but do not use Outlook as a mail client for my Gmail and other email addresses. Recently I stopped logging into my PC with a MS account and switched to a local account. Is the problem really that MS doesn't like me doing that and is trying to get me to go back to using the MS Outlook account to log in?!

Richard

Re: Repeated "out-of-date settings" message from MS

Postby Richard » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:19 pm

The most common cause of an out-of-date account is an incorrect password. Select Fix account in the notification bar at the top of the Mail or Calendar app. If your password is incorrect, you'll see a message asking you to update your password. Enter the new password and choose Done.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Well, thanks, but I don't understand - I did say that I can't see any reason why the password should be incorrect, it has served alright for a number of months.

There is no "Fix account" which I can find, nor a notification bar! I get notifications in the bottom r/h corner of the PC along with the other stuff that appears there, but maybe you mean something at the top of the page when I open my Outlook email.

I did go into all the mail settings and couldn't find anything wrong. I still rather think there is some other glitch going on here.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:03 am

The account settings are out of date message usually refers to the details you provided to Microsoft when you first installed/registered Windows 10. Have you have changed your email address since having the computer?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:17 pm

The PC was bought wirh Windows 10 installed (which seems to have avoided many of the problems people have experienced after updating their existing op. system).

I opened a MS Outllook email account soon after I had set up the PC and connected to the internet. I stopped using the MS account to log in some time ago, instead set up a local account. The "settings out of date" messages started coming just a few months ago - they don't seem to cause any other problems but are very irritating!

Oh, I also have a problem with my Sky connection often fading (which Sky keep denying or giving me bullshit about) but I doubt whether that has any connection with the MS messages.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:09 am

On thinking about it, I didn't answer your comment precisely.

I did change my MS password many months ago - but the "settings out of date" messages only started coming fairly recently.

However, if these messages are somehow a delayed and belated consequence of the password change, dare I go into the settings again and change the password again maybe? I'm worried about making things worse!

I have already found that, after changing my MS password, the log-in password didn't change automatically also, stayed the same as before - so two different passwords! It was impossible to change it and nobody else knew why, that is why I decided to open a local account and use that to log-in instead of my MS account.

Hope that all makes sense.

Return to “Technology Chat”