Trying to connect wireless headphones to a PC

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
seahermit

Re: Trying to connect wireless headphones to a PC

Postby seahermit » Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:11 pm

No green square on my computer. Only a set of three ports- red, white, blue which seem to be audio-in ports. Plugging in the clour-coded wires from the transmitter certainly doesn't work.

Wires ARE needed. The transmitter connects to the PC's headphone jack via two wires ending in coloured plugs - which have to be converted by another cable into a single plug so as to actually fit into the jack.

I think you are still visualising a Bluetooth device. As fas I know, a small dongle plugging into the PC (sending signals to the headphones) would indeed eliminate the need for any wires at all.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:06 pm

No I am not visualizing a Bluetooth device at all.
I have had the self-same headphones of which you speak and they do indeed connect to the computer via wires but only in so far as the base-unit alone is concerned.
Thereafter the headphones do not require wires or cable and you should be free to roam, free of wires, with a radio frequency signal transmitting sound to the headphones.
I think therefore that you have been given headphones without the proper base-unit or instructions, as supplied by the manufacturer, and are hence struggling to manage.
There may be a work-around but in all honesty that old technology has been superseded by Bluetooth and you may be just wasting your time.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:35 am

Richard, I do appreciate the responses to my post but there appear to be some crossed wires here! Figuratively speaking, not the accursed headphone set up ..

I have already said that I have the base unit i.e transmitter, it plugs into the PC's headphone jack and the problem has been resolved. No wires needed between transmitter and headphones.

You say that this technology has been superceded, but similar headphones were on sale in every shop I walked into, even the Pound shop had a cheap pair.. You can of course opt for the Bluetiooth ones but they seem to be quite a bit more expensive.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:20 pm

I don't see why you had a problem - the batteries may have needed charging first?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:59 am

Richard, are you not actually reading my posts? About the difficulty of getting the complex of colour-coded plugs into the correct ports at the back of the PC, TV etc.? Do you really think I am such a dummy that I simply forgot to change the batteries?!

Definitely some crossed wires somewhere ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:43 pm

The sound quality should be better from the rear port but many debate the issue.
In your case, MJ, 'Black' should be the colour-coded line out at the rear, although it is green-coded on mine.
Have you gone into sound properties and enabled the rear jack as the default sound device?
Most video cards and on-board video drivers will set themselves as the default sound device.

To check what is enabled (assuming it is plugged in) go to:
Start.
Control Panel.
Sounds.
Playback tab.
Depending on your sound software it will be listed as "speakers" or your on-board audio device.

As you insert and detach headphones/speakers then you may see the 'enabled' tick appear /disappear as you insert the jack at front or rear and that way you can be sure the correct ports have been found and are working.

Otherwise just stick to the front, it's cheap and cheerful but it works!

:D

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:02 pm

I have finally cracked it, almost the most complicated thing I have done so far on the PC (bearing in mind that I started from a base of complete ignorance).

At the rear of the computer is a set of three round ports colour-coded red/white/blue (no black or green squares) and the headphone instructions told me to utilise two of the ports and insert the red and white plugs from the transmitter. However, it didn't work .. and the white port is actually a very pale shade of GREEN (impossible to see in a bad light!). I scoured through the lengthy Acer computer manual (downloaded previously) and finally found a tiny reference to the green port being an audio-out port. So I disregarded the instructions, combined the twin plugs from the transmitter into a single one and inserted it into the green port.

Presto! It works well and the sound quality is possibly better than using the headphone jack at the front. The front jack is more convenient, so I'll see how it goes, switch if I come across another old film with a crackly soundtrack.

Now I'm exhausted, just want to watch an old film ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:18 pm

Well done at last! Pale green is normally line-out, headphones/speaker, red/pink is normally the girl, line-in - Mike.
At least you don't have to struggle, typing commands into ms-dos, like we had to in 'the good old days' before windows!

Return to “Technology Chat”