Help please! Epson printer won't print

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
seahermit

Re: Help please! Epson printer won't print

Postby seahermit » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:19 pm

Thanks very much, that all makes nice sense! It is of course the Windows network locating devices - it was the "MEMORYCARD" label which put me on the wrong track.

In these times, I think I might be erring on the right side to be a bit paranoid about threats! So far, so good but I have had my fair share of phishing approaches, "security warnings from MS" which come from no traceable address, "virus warnings" with spelling mistakes .. Two fraudulent debits from my credit card - fortunately so patently "unusual behaviour" on my part that the bank refunded me pretty quickly. Those were both suspected of being linked to my Amazon account, I had to completely delete it, change passwords etc. and start again.

We live in a dangerous world.

EthelTheFrog

Postby EthelTheFrog » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Hmmm that’s interesting, on an aside the only times fake transactions have gone from my account have been directly linked to cards stored at Amazon too.

With that in mind, when Amazon is used, I 8mmediately delete the card from the acco7nt. Inconvenient but it does remove the very dubious non requirement of Amazon to ask for the cvv record

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:02 am

Yes, I have heard of people doing that, erasing all card details after each transaction. Good idea.

Apart from hacking into financial systems, the main ways in which this kind of fraud can occur can only be: dishonest activity by bank staff (there have been a few cases) and the same by Amazon staff (believed to be much more prevalent!). Ultimately, the system still has to rely to some extent upon humans being trustworthy.

Also I don't do internet banking - the technology is wonderful but, for all the security devices put in place, there will always be loopholes in the system and many clever technophiles eager to find them. I might bank online if the banks were more ready to reimburse you when fraud takes place - but they don't. They still very largely deny the scale of fraud and blame the customers!

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:21 pm

I second the comment from Ethel. If it works don't worry about it.

Return to “Technology Chat”