Help please! Epson printer won't print

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
Richard

Re: Help please! Epson printer won't print

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:37 am

Hi seahermit,

I have never found downloading printer or scanner drivers to be a complete doddle.
Sometimes you have to disconnect the cable from the computer first or, if it is wireless, then you have to make sure the printer is not connected during download and set up until you have installed the software. Sometimes it's not an issue.
Computers and programming can be frustrating, in the end you just have to show it who is the boss!

Try to download and re-install the driver.
The Epson site has downloads available when you enter the model/no. in the appropriate box:

https://www.epson.co.uk/support#drivers_and_manuals

Your model no. has terrible Amazon reviews for costs of inks anyway.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks for that. I will of course keep trying with it. Technology is not itself the problem, what is infuriating is that the designers design it for themselves, not for the people who have to use it. The result is "over-engineering", technology which is so complex that there is a lot go to go wrong and users can't understand it. Instead of helping people's lives, it makes things more difficult.

My printer was cheap, so I wasn't expecting much. In fact, it has been excellent. They all overcharge for proprietry ink of course - I go instead to Ink Factory, half the price.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:24 pm

The first link applies to HP but the same set of procedures seem to apply to many brands:

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04655208

http://kb.epson-europe.com/display/4/kb ... x?aid=1316

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:25 pm

Sorry, only just spotted this thread.

Remove the printer completely from "Printers & Scanners" screen of Windows. Then start afresh using the "Add a printer" option. If you have a CD with the original driver then use that to set it up again.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Ah, I was wondering if I should go down that route, start again installing the printer from scratch. Thanks Geoff. I have the CD and original instructions.

The driver somehow seems to have been not just disabled but deleted by the last Epson software update. The latter consisted of two bundles of software enabling me to use Epson's cloud services - anywhere in the world! I am not at all interested and have deleted the software from Applications. There was no info given about the software nor choice in the matter - they were just presented as essential downloads but some people would probably regard them as bloatware.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:17 am

There's a lesson to us all - if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Don't succumb to messages pestering you to upgrade.
I like the simple solution from Geoff, re-install the original CD after removing the interface presented by Windows.

The only computer-resident software drivers ever worth trying to update are probably Video ones!

'And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.'

Life was so simple back then!
8-)

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:58 am

Thank you guys, I really appreciate the help. I removed the printer from Printers and Scanners, deleted everything else(except for the Epson Manual download and the scanner app) and re-inserted the original Epson CD. As Richard said, I had to disconnect the WiFi for the printer, then reactivate it when prompted by the Epson instructions. The Epson downloads seem to have replaced my Manual download with a new version.

All because of a stupid malfunction which occurred after my last Epson software update .. and which shouldn't have happened!

I have actually been lucky, the printer has mainly performed quite well. The computer websites have pages about infuriating and difficult printer problems which cause much loss of hair amongst the users .. probably because the software isn't written perfectly and bug-free?!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:30 am

Oh dear, it's been that sort of year ..

The printer does now do its job but, after checking everything is ok in Settings and elsewhere, I find that a new Epson "device" has been added under "Network Locations (1)". I show below roughly how it is all listed:

THIS PC
Folders (7)
3D Objects, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, videos

Devices and drives (4)
Bluetooth FTP, Acer (C), Data (D), DVD RW Drive E

Network Locations (1)
MEMORYCARD (\\EPSON7827EF) (Z)

But no physical card/drive has been inserted, is this a sort of cookie/spyware within the software?! No, I'm sure I'm being naive about something here ..

Clicking on Properties displays this:
MEMORYCARD (\\EPSON7827EF) (Z) Properties

General:

Type: Network Drive
File System:

Used space 0 bytes
Free space 0 bytes

Capacity: 0 bytes Drive Z

I am fairly sure it's ok and safe but .. what is it?! I'd be happier if somebody else knows ..

EthelTheFrog

Postby EthelTheFrog » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:57 am

It sounds as if you have network discovery turned on and your Windows installation has automatically detected the presence of the printer on the WiFi network.

This is absolutely not worth worrying about if you are not confident on removing it.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:26 pm

In the good old days there was only DOS - then came Windows and then WiFi.
At one time we could only connect to other users in the same office via cabling.
It was called a 'Network'.
This 'Network' included printers (also called peripheral devices).
Networks were a very important feature in companies before external email and fancy all-singing Windows.

Anyway the latest 'Network discovery' allows Windows 10 to find other computers and devices on a network. (Be it WiFi or physical cable) This feature is automatically turned on when you’re connected to private networks, like the one provisioned by windows, in your home or workplace.
I think it used to be called a 'work group' in previous versions of windows.

If you went into settings and turned it off you would probably screw your chances of being able to use peripheral devices such as printers...

Stop fretting seahermit - you seem quite safe and the aliens haven't taken control (for the time-being!)
:)

Return to “Technology Chat”