Are tablets/phablets worth the expense?

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
Richard

Re: Are tablets/phablets worth the expense?

Postby Richard » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:35 pm

I don't 'turn my nose up' at modern technology, I just don't see the need to follow, to become hooked into, the intense, near rabid, disease of American commercial interests, exploiting the internet, to the nth degree.
Somehow I can't blame the Russian Putin, for playing the field, as a counterblast.

You said yourself "it all started as a simple telephone invention!!"

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:46 am

I do agree with that. The smartphone can be a useful tool for getting information quickly, for electronic messaging .. and sometimes as a phone!

But the whole system has been highjacked by commercial interests, making piles of money out of consumers whilst exploiting their addiction to "being in touch" and being "wanted" by their network of friends. And all the misuse, manipulation of people, misinformation ..

I imagine Putin must be rubbing his hands with glee. Can you imagine what opportunities for propoganda Goebbels would have made out of an almost totally unregulated, un-policed free-for-all market?!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:01 am

To give you a laugh at my expense, I haven't upgraded my smartphone yet!
Not cos of all the above but because I can't justify it as an essential .. been tempted by the sales and I probably will spend just a few pounds later, but it's really not so important as some things for my flat and I do need more pairs of socks .. I do try to be atleast a bit sensible.

Return to “Technology Chat”