Speaker(s) for an Acer Aspire PC

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
Richard

Re: Speaker(s) for an Acer Aspire PC

Postby Richard » Mon Jun 08, 2020 6:57 pm

A subwoofer (or sub) is a loudspeaker designed to reproduce low-pitched audio frequencies known as bass and sub-bass, lower in frequency than those which can be (optimally) generated by a woofer.
Subwoofers are important because most speakers in audio or home theater system are not capable of reproducing all the frequencies your audio source sends to them. ... The low frequencies are also the ones that help produce the full, rich, three-dimensional effect we love in movie soundtracks and in music.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:36 am

Thanks very much. You have furthered my education!

My speaker comes tomorrow. I will report back on the sound when it is all set up, hope it is not too disappointing but don't think it will be - atleast it should be LOUD!

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:54 am

Interesting to learn if the 'doofer' can plug into a TV for films etcetera.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:19 pm

The Tronsmart Force speaker IS loud - but great for wandering around the flat whilst listening to music from the PC. My ears are no longer perfectly reliable for judging sound-quality, but my friend this afternoon thought the speaker was good and last night I watched a YouTube video of a Korean girl playing Mozart's Piano Concerto no. 21 - it sounded ethereal.

If I am flush later, I might buy another one and connect them up in stereo! Which you can do with this speaker.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:22 pm

Haven't tried it with the TV yet but it should work -there are a variety of options for connecting with other devices.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:43 pm

https://youtu.be/fNU-XAZjhzA

I think I have done this link properly. Korean girl (I think) looking beautiful and playing Mozart like an angel.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:53 pm

The only way of connecting the Tronsmart Force speaker to the TV is by utilising the headphone jack. It works, but not as loud and clear as the TV's own speakers.

There are no other audio-out ports (confirmed by checking through the manual) - I am surprised. I wonder how I would set up surround-sound for watching an epic film - buy a better TV I suppose!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:39 am

seahermit - try using the one labeled 'line out' on your TV, and not the headphone jack - because they look the same - If you plug your speaker into the TV headphone socket, it's probably going to sound awful.

Or:

t's actually pretty easy to turn your non-bluetooth TV – or any non-bluetooth device, as long as it has a 3.5mm jack – into bluetooth-capable devices.
Buy a Bluetooth transmitter which Bluetooth-enables your tv.
It is a small uniy which uses the classic 3.5mm jack (the audio jack/headphone jack) on the tv.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluetooth-Tran ... NrPXRydWU=

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:18 pm

Thanks very much, Richard, you are good at this stuff.

No audio-out ports on the TV, apart from the headphone jack, only the usual array of audio and video ports for input from another device. But then it's only a basic 24-inch Logic TV.

The info about the Bluetooth transmitter might be very handy for a future occasion, I should have guessed such devices were around. Not worth doing for now, since there are very few good films on TV these days, only a hackneyed menu of Hollywood action films.

Exceptions are (a few) BBC films and documentaries, but I usually catch up with those on I-Player.

I am now using the PC much more than TV, the other day found the Luis Bunuel version of Robinson Crusoe. Terrific drama, some quite serious issues touched on, of loneliness, civilisation, our relationship with other races etc.

However, I am again plagued by the Sky broadband connection frequently disappearing, at very inconvenient moments. I am pretty sure all my set-up is ok and it's BT's ageing infrastructure at fault, but on past experience I am not expecting much help with it from Sky.

So, considering my options. I never use the landline and some of my friends are very happy connecting via a laptop or tablet and some form of mobile broadband. Probably won't be any cheaper but might be reliable!

Another day. You would think that by now they would have perfected technology which actually worked properly ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:49 am

seahermit, I don't know if this is of any use:

https://www.the-home-cinema-guide.com/rca-plug.html

Return to “Technology Chat”