Into the unknown .. with a blog/website

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
seahermit

Re: Into the unknown .. with a blog/website

Postby seahermit » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:16 am

"Follow" button added.

The design aspects of Wordpress are good, many useful bells and whistles, just the instructions are pretty awful!

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:55 pm

I wish you well, seahermit (and even the lovely cbe who hopes that I may be 'unwell').
Do you have any uplifting poems seahermit?

I will now show you one I made some years ago:

'TO AN ENGLISH WOODLAND IN SPRINGTIME'

Knowing a certain path
And climbing in the legacy of nature’s bounty
I take my seat on a serpentine branch
One arm of a leviathan, beached yet breathing

To hear the orchestra rehearse each day
holding back eternal silence
Yet in a practiced way
Nature’s rhythm

Fluting and piping pierce the canopy
Where new leaves guide the zephyr
Along their cascades playing
Now a wren bursts into song

Streams of amber light have no special mentor
Filtering in through doors of decay
Breathing new life into an ancient woodland
The promise of another day...

RAB - 2008

Queens Wood
Crouch End
North London

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:07 am

Well, Richard, what a strange person you are! I find you difficult to understand, that much has become obvious I suppose, but the good things about you are very good at times and even surprising!

I like the poem very much, read it several times. I am no proper literary critic but .. it has a deceptive simplicity to it, yet is emotive and evocative. A poem like that is difficult to write without sentimental cliches and so on, but you have a nice and original way with words.

I love quietly slipping into tangled and overgrown woodlands and listening to all the rustling and twitterings of creatures around me. I would actually like to post the poem on the website, credited to you of course, would you mind if I did that? I would also like to put it next to a photo of mine which I am quite proud of, a dark woodland thicket. If you don't like the end result, I can quite easily take it down again ..

There will be more poems, and some prose, going up onto my website - the difficulty is what to choose from 30 years of scribbling! And I can hardly overload visitors with a massive "Menu" at the tops of the pages, so I have to work out some form of "Archive" for those poetry fanatics who like my stuff and want to browse around.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:05 am

seahermit,
You have my permission to do what you want with that particular poem.
I think it is always useful to apply dates and inspirations to put poetry/prose into some sort of context.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks Richard, I want to include some poems, quotes etc. by other people as examples of what I like. Also it varies the content a bit, not all about me, so maybe a separate page for all that ..

You may be delighted to hear that my web design efforts got slated on Scribophile! People like my poetry and photos, never had a big problem there, but I am no web designer, not even a natural artist, so it was very difficult for me. The website layout got a lot of criticism - all of which I agree with and I have a lot of reworking to do. Will probably do largely a re-set.

Without doing a course (I have little interest in web design intricacies anyway), it is hard to get your head around website themes, templates, widgets, plug-ins and all the rest. And difficult to get help and advice - I know nobody who is good on computers, have several friends who cannot even handle a mobile phone ..! The only way is tons of research online - slow work.

I will persevere with it but it probably won't end up as a masterpiece.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:44 pm

Re: your second comment, I agree that I am always very interested in how a poem came to be written, what led the poet there .. one of my own ways is to use an accompanying image, to explain a bit more about myself and my motivations. Or I just add a word of intro or a dedication to whom or what inspired me.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:56 pm

Thanks very much, Derek, very interesting article. I am not sure how far my site will go, but if I end up posting a lot of important stuff on there and need to promote it heavily, Google will be one of the important factors.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Medium is far better than WordPress at creating an environment for writers.
If you’ve already written a story but don’t have anywhere to put it, you can sign up and publish it with Medium in about two minutes.
With WordPress, you may get lost in the woods.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:27 pm

Been hearing a lot about Medium. Thanks for reminder, will check out.

My site a bit basic (though improving all the time) but it's really nice to have my own "presence" online to facilitate networking. Should have done it ages ago.

Return to “Technology Chat”