Into the unknown .. with a blog/website

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
seahermit

Re: Into the unknown .. with a blog/website

Postby seahermit » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:59 pm

This is just a lot of verbiage, Richard, can you really not see that? Please go, bang your head against a wall and then look again at what you have written.

Almost all of the above tells me nothing useful and helps me not at all, much is irrelevant to the original thread.

It is difficult enough for me to try something new and complex, without someone like you completely wasting my time.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:41 am

seahermit - I see no point in your continual rudeness, please stop pestering people of higher intelligence.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:08 pm

"Sorry to be so blunt, seahermit" - those were your words, Richard. Not so nice, is it, when someone directs the same bluntness back at you?

What could be ruder than your ignoring the quite polite questions I posed and just indulging in frivolity, patronising remarks and irrelevancies?

"Intelligence" only in your own inflated estimation, Richard. Others see it as infantile.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:37 pm

I have to say that I do rather despise the 'computer jockey's who think they can ask for the exact nuggets of information they think they need in order to ride off to instant success.
With no training in good design, no training in web-page design, no understanding of the whole spectrum of design, the computer software packages, or limitations, they instantly cry out in frustration and become abusive when their 'modus operandi' is challenged.
Here endeth the first lesson.

cbe

Postby cbe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:23 pm

Enough. This getting unseemly for us casual readers.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:43 am

My sincere apologies to others, I asked what I thought were reasonable questions, as coming from a learner - got some responses which I felt were pretty offensive!

Never mind, I will of course call it a day, we all have better things to do.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:21 pm

"I have to say that I do rather despise the 'computer jockey's who think they can ask for the exact nuggets of information they think they need in order to ride off to instant success.
With no training in good design ... they instantly cry out in frustration and become abusive when their 'modus operandi' is challenged"

Despite the unexpected negativity from some quarters and the contempt openly expressed towards beginners (as if we don't all have to start somewhere!), other people have thankfully been very generous and helpful and things are taking shape.

Somewhat painful exercise but ultimately enjoyable - but the hardest work I have done on computers for years! Wordpress is complex but, once you get the hang of it, you can be quite creative in building website pages. The trouble was that Wordpress's own tutorials are pretty awful (many complaints online about over-fast YouTube videos), but there are other very good resources out there and it's all logical of course.

If I achieve anything presentable, I may post some links. Been writing for many years, a lot about Hastings and the people therein, and I should have been braver about sharing it more widely. This is one of the good aspects of the internet - the ability to talk to the world. I am already getting feedback and advice from someone in Arizona and from a yachtswoman on a Greek island!

cbe

Postby cbe » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:16 pm

As I've probably mentioned before, my wife was born in Hastings and we have visited regularly over the years. We have a lot of books about Hastings and its people and we are always interested in anything covering the same topics. Will welcome any links you put forward.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:38 pm

Surely the wrong topic for intervening with comments about visits with your wife, cbe - nice try - but your friend 'clodpole seahermit' has a history of arrogantly abusing others offering any information he dislikes.
We have witnessed it time and again, the seahermit tries to gain the upper hand and lashes out if anyone dares to get entangled in the web he casts.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:45 pm

Thanks, CBE, that's nice. I will try to live up to the promises I am making!

I came to Hastings twenty years ago,wasn't sure if I would stay more than five minutes. But they say that, if you try to escape Hastings, something drags you back here .. So, I have had a love-hate relationship with the damned place which comes out in my writing.

Inevitably, the site will be a bit basic to begin with, a fairly static showcase fror my work, but who likes to stay static? So, we'll see ..

Return to “Technology Chat”