A new computer monitor

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
Richard

A new computer monitor

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:23 pm

I recently ordered a Dell monitor of 21.5-inch dimensions, believing it would be an improvement on my old 19 inch LG monitor, 21.5 inches seemed a little better but not too large for my small desk. When the monitor arrived I immediately felt it was too wide, I failed to notice the aspect ratio (being absorbed by concerns about picture quality, etcetera) and just assumed it would be the same aspect ratio as my 4:3 LG monitor. The new Dell had an image aspect ratio of 16:9, which does not suit me at all. I have spent several frustrating attempts at disassembling the stand riser from the base in order to fit the contraption into the packaging for return to the sender. That was an annoying experience, more fun solving a Japanese puzzle box perhaps.
Now it seems that everyone is accepting the wide-screen as an industry standard and I am left going back to my old monitor, which is reassuringly square-ish. Times have changed - It appears that 4:3 is no longer in vogue.
Freecell looks quite silly on a 16:9 screen...

Richard

Re: A new computer monitor

Postby Richard » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:37 am

Update,

I have gone for a 27-inch wide-screen 'Asus' and to hell with the aspect ratio issues.
I will get used to it perhaps, much like my initial resistance to the widescreen TV's which have been hoist upon us.
Time will tell...

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:42 pm

I was trying to find the aspect ratio on my monitor but so far can't locate the full specification.

I have an Acer rectangular monitor, 24-inches wide and I love the large screen, great for viewing and editing photos, also for watching films. I like a big monitor to work on, didn't get on at all with the cramped screen of a laptop.

But on my TV (also 24-inch), the Amazon Firestick (and Prime Video) ended up being a waste of money. Access to a lot of films .. but largely Hollywood action films/comedies/fantasies, very few of the classic and foreign films which interest me. In any case, I can find all the latter on the internet and more easily - I found navigation with the Firestick + remote control more awkward than using a mouse, but maybe that was just me ..

So, I have an Amazon Firestick (with Alexa) going begging - or going for say £10 if anyone is interested? If not, I will put it in the Friday Ad again.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:18 pm

Not sure what 'Alexa' does exactly.
Enables film search by voice commands?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:33 pm

Can search for anything, without having to type in things. Just shout it out from sofa! Can be connected to smart home devices too. I have grave reservations about the security of all the automation. Besides, my right hand takes ages to run out of battery power ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:04 am

I now have a new BenQ 24 inch monitor.
I adjusted the screen resolution to 1920x1080 and everything is just fine.
The icons on the desktop were too small so I held down the ctrl on the keyboard and scrolled up with the mouse to make them larger.
:)

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:29 am

I had never heard of BenQ monitors but they seem ok, bit expensive!

My screen resolution is also 1920 x 1080. Is that a standard sort of setting? My Acer monitor is absolutely excellent.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:32 am

I had also never come across the trick for increasing the desktop icon sizes. Brilliant.

You are a mine of sometimes useful information, Richard.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:37 am

I still have my Amazon Firestick which I want to pass on - if anyone you know might be interested. I would just like to get SOMETHING back for it.

Even ten quid in the Friday Ad only tempted one "timewaster"!

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:13 am

seahermit, you can also use ctrl/mouse scroll (up or down) for changing the text size on websites, including this one.
Saves me putting reading glasses on.

My Benq was £115 for a 24 inch monitor, so not too expensive really.

Return to “Technology Chat”