Computer not booting up properly

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
seahermit

Re: Computer not booting up properly

Postby seahermit » Sat May 22, 2021 1:41 am

Hmm, I have one more problem arising out of the accursed Windows 10 updates - maybe caused by the updates themselves, or I might have reset something incorrectly whilst sorting out the mess (the printer was disabled for a while by the updates).

The scanner on my Epson printer no longer works properly (the printer otherwise seems to be fine). I have downloaded all the software again but no difference.

I have added photos (sorry about the quality - the pages were laid on my red tablecloth!) of the original document (an A4 page from the Epson Start-up guide) and of the scanned copy. As you see, the scanned image came out completely scrunched up to the left-hand side.

Does anyone recognise this or have any clues? I'm sure it is something really trivial and stupid, but I can't find a setting which seems to work.
Attachments
SCANNED IMAGE.JPG
ORIGINAL.JPG

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun May 23, 2021 8:55 pm

If wired unplug the printer's USB cable from the PC.
Delete the software via control panel.
Reinstall the printer/scanner software.
Re-connect the USB cable.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun May 23, 2021 11:56 pm

Thanks, Richard. The printer is connected via Bluetooth only. Not sure there is a cable but I will check.

I did delete the software and download it again, but it made no difference. I couldn't delete the main Epson app in Settings - often it is difficult to completely remove these things (a message said it could not be deleted) but everything else in Settings/Apps I deleted.

Will keep searching for a solution!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon May 24, 2021 12:01 am

I have come up with this problem before - when you try to delete an App from Settings/Apps, it can't be done, you have to find other roundabout ways.

But I can't remember how to do it! Any suggestions welcome ..

UncleB

Postby UncleB » Mon May 24, 2021 9:29 am

seahermit wrote:The Sky broadband connection still goes every few days or so, so I still need to get that checked out.

Keep a note of the day / time you find the broadband is down in case you can spot a pattern - eg when the microwave is used or when a rubbish truck is passing by.

This may help identify the root cause (interference of maybe cable compression in these 2 cases) and get a solution designed.

Good luck.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon May 24, 2021 1:25 pm

Thanks. I have been keeping note of it, easy at first because the connection was going more or less every day, but it seems less frequent for now. There must be some reason for it, so I have to pursue it!

I don't know whether I was just unlucky but I think the computer problems were almost the worst I have ever had. I know it's a common issue for Windows updates to cause all sorts of mayhem. The PC has calmed down now, just one or two issues left - the scanner, also my Dropbox app (shortcut) stopped working and I have to upload files the long way, by going to the website. I will try downloading the app again shortly.

The tablet was a good move, eased my mind considerably to have alternative access to internet, and it's superb for watching films!

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon May 24, 2021 9:26 pm

seahermit,

Technology has its place, yet people wrote perfectly good works in the past without computers, are you becoming too fixated upon using modern technology when it solves nothing at all really?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue May 25, 2021 2:08 am

That is a very valid question, one I have pondered over numerous times. However, you are talking to someone who remains fairly cynical about the real, ultimate benefits of IT.

The internet is unarguably good for quick access to news and information and for self-educating on all manner of topics. And for fast communications, which makes life much easier. And all my writing and photos are safely stored online. And IT is embedded in modern design and manufacturing.

But, as with cars, aeroplanes, energy sources old and new, all technology .., there is always a price to be paid. It could be said that what IT has mainly achieved is to speed things up - including the pace of life and the associated stress. As you say, humans managed perfectly well for millenia doing things at a slower speed and without modern technology - and still created great works of literature, magnificent architecture and beautiful handcrafts.

And the way that fake news, fraud, criminality, abuse, political and religious extremism, racism etc. has all flourished on the un-policed Internet and created mistrust of authority, division and disharmony may ultimately be THE pressing threat to Western societies. Ahead even of military, economic or environmental ones.

Food for thought!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue May 25, 2021 2:26 am

I didn't even add all the hours one has to spend on both learning about IT and then resolving problems when they occur.

The big downside to IT, which technophiles would argue fiercely against, is that the technology is greatly over-complicated. The lesson from history is that simpler is better and there is less to go wrong. Modern technology as a whole is so complex that it is self-defeating - hard for one individual to learn much of it, vulnerable to failures, outages, malicious attacks etc. and therefore as much time is spent resolving issues as was spent creating the technology in the first place!

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue May 25, 2021 9:00 pm

Clearly computer technology has its place and will never go away.
Perhaps I should have said:
'when it solves nothing at all really in terms of artistic creative endeavor?'

Artistic creativity is really not much improved by computer technology but its dispersal may benefit greatly.

Return to “Technology Chat”