Bluetooth Issues

Computers, Internet, Mobile, TV, Audio etc - Help & advice on your tech questions.
Richard

Bluetooth Issues

Postby Richard » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:56 am

I have to say that Bluetooth is a pain in the neck at times.
It used to work for me and yet now it refuses to co-operate at all.

I might as well just use a cable and be done with it.
My computer supports Bluetooth but now fails to recognize my speaker which uses Bluetooth.
I suspect the computer Bluetooth is switched off internally somewhere but switching it on again is difficult as it is not listed under Device Manager.

Tried 'pairing' but if Bluetooth is not enabled in the computer it refuses to work at all.

seahermit

Re: Bluetooth Issues

Postby seahermit » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:24 pm

My computer is hooked up to the single speaker via bluetooth - because, when I first set things up, the speaker was located on the other side of the room. Works fine now but there were problems getting the PC to recognise the speaker - I don't understand why these things happen but the PC kept listing an old pair of speakers and searching for them! It was a devil of a job to remove all traces of the old speakers in the settings and it took several goes to get the new bluetooth speaker connecting.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:32 pm

My keyboard and mouse work on Wi-fi, the speaker is on bluetooth - it helps a bit to reduce the Spaghetti Junction of cables and gives me a nice uncluttered desk.

Do they make a monitor which works on wi-fi/bluetooth?! Probably a dumb question, probably there are issues of power and data- transfer ..

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:02 pm

My printer is on Wi-fi too, so one less cable!

Your post got me wondering why the mouse and keyboard need a dongle but the printer doesn't. Never thought about it before.

It's complicated - even so, I did some fascinating research into the technology. Manufacturers haven't standardised their connections, so the dongle which works with the mouse is different to the one for the keyboard and that works differently to the printer .. and so on.

UncleB

Postby UncleB » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:07 pm

seahermit wrote:Do they make a monitor which works on wi-fi/bluetooth?! Probably a dumb question, probably there are issues of power and data- transfer ..

They don't make this as of yet. You are right to assume it is a data transfer issue - video has a much higher density of informtion than audio so needs many times more capacity.

This is why video cables have many more connections than audio ones - they need to have information for each pixel on colour, brightness etc, and when there are arounf 10,000 pixels to work on with changes every microsecond then it gets to be pretty intense.

At work we do use wireless presenting but this is pretty laggy and noticably slow to update - nowhere good enough to play video on (and we use top of the line laptops).

Technology has a long way to go yet to get this working well.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Fascinating. But makes sense of course, I forgot about the high-density nature of image/video data.

I wonder how many lifetimes would be needed to learn ALL aspects of computer technology?!

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:07 am

There seem to be a few TV's with Wifi or Wifi dongles can be added but it seems to be patchy transmission.
The manufacturers have not go together and developed a standard for the technology.

Latency, buffering and bandwidth seems to be issues.

Return to “Technology Chat”