Good Pub Guide

Post here if you are visiting the Hastings area and would like some more information.
Richard

Good Pub Guide

Postby Richard » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:08 pm

This must be difficult to pin down to a handful of great places as everyone has their own particular choice.
Perhaps also depends on your age and taste in beer/wine/cocktails.
Some people are happy to pay whatever it is to get a place that offers a pleasant ambience.
Others like a rowdy atmosphere
'Filo' in the old town is a firm favourite as it has its own micro-brewery.

moonjiver

Re: Good Pub Guide

Postby moonjiver » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:55 am

In the Old Town the choices are easy - everyone seems to like the Filo (lovely cosy atmosphere) and the Stag (likewise and on a live music night just terrific). The Jenny Lind and the Hastings Arms are both nice clean comfortable pubs.

In the town centre the John Logie Baird and Yates's are friendly but noisy and often crowded. The JD Bar near the library is a much nicer wine-bar sort of place and they run excellent jazz and other music nights.

St Leonard's - oh dear , the town is crying out for a really good well-run pub, most at present are quite shabby and often half-empty. The Horse and Groom is the exception but the landlord doesn't like people very much!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:33 pm

What I like most about the pubs in Hastings, especially at this time of year, are the real old fires burning, not tarted up or modernised, and extremely welcoming.
If they ever install electric fires you can forget it, as far as I am concerned.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:08 am

The Stag always has log fires burning - after you walk in, it's extremely cosy to grab a drink and then unfreeze your backside in front of the flames.

I spotted a headline yesterday (didn't have time to read it) about log fires becoming more popular .. and contributing to the planet-warming business.

My own somewhat pessimistic view, reinforced by the pronouncements of scientists, is that we may be in deep trouble later - so much damage already done that a bit more now makes little difference. If we all start doing the right things tomorrow, the damage so far to the weather systems will be irreversible for a long time ahead!

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:10 am

Thanks to Geoff for correcting the title from "Good ub Guide"

:D

Return to “Visiting Hastings & St Leonards”