State of White Rock Gardens

Post here if you are visiting the Hastings area and would like some more information.
Nicki

State of White Rock Gardens

Postby Nicki » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:25 pm

I have relatives living in Rye and Hastings and have visited the town all my life. I was excited to show my children the White Rock Gardens area yesterday as we used to go up there all the time as kids and remember it being well looked after and one of the "outdoors" areas in Hastings to visit.

Was really disappointed yesterday to find out that there wasn't actually any mini golf or tennis courts anymore, (the site for the courts was still there but no nets etc), despite being mentioned on this website about White Rock Gardens.

Apart from the Bowls club and skateboarding area there sadly wasn't much else to do outside (have seen reviews of Clambers on Trip Advisor and it looks like somewhere you'd send your kids to catch something, not to have a healthy run around).
I don't know whether the council reads visitors' comments but I remember the whole area buzzing with visitors, especially kids from overseas and the older generation, using the tennis courts, enjoying being in the gardens etc.

Now I'm sad to say apart from the bowls club and the small gym the whole area just looks grubby and run down. It's quite a trek up there to play tennis or golf too so maybe you should change your post on your website!

If the pier is having a lot of money spent on it, it would be great if somebody was to spend a bit of the money on White Rock too. Even maintaining the gardens would be better than nothing.

I was embarrassed to be British walking around there yesterday, it was like being in part of Hastings the council has long ago forgotten about.

Sorry to gripe, hope things improve in the near future!

WhiteRockTrust

Re: State of White Rock Gardens

Postby WhiteRockTrust » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:46 am

Hi Nicki

You are quite right - White Rock Gardens has deteriorated in recent years. I have lived in Cambridge Road for over 30 years and watched it's decline.

Fortunately I have some good news for you The White Rock Trust (which has a website and a facebook page) is now actively working to regenerate the whole area, which includes White Rock Gardens. The Trust will attend regular council meetings,who have now put the gardens on their agenda. We will contributing our own ideas and keeping up with any plans the council may have. Please do sign up to The White Rock Trust online to keep informed of current events. It is lovely to hear that you share the same concerns as us.

Susan
White Rock Trust

Return to “Visiting Hastings & St Leonards”