Spring has sprung

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

Spring has sprung

Postby Richard » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:08 pm

That 'Darling of the Spring', the first cuckoo, was heard near Rye on 2nd April this year:

The cuckoo comes in April,
She sings her song in May,
In the middle of June she changes her tune,
In July she flies away.

Gerry Glyde

Re: Spring has sprung

Postby Gerry Glyde » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:57 pm

The puffins have started to arrive on the Farne Islands in Northumberland

Well worth a visit.

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:37 pm

Ah! To some Hastings people that is actually quite useful info! Sometime later this year I am thinking of doing a trip up to Scotland mainly by rail + foot, stopping off in Midlands and York. But also never fully explored Northumberland (except the whole length of Hadrian's Wall) and never seen puffins.

Do you know how easy it is to get out to the Farne Islands? And how long the puffins stick around? Probably you are not allowed to get really close. Lindisfarne sounds as if it might be part of the group ..

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sat Apr 23, 2016 4:01 pm

I promise that I am not on commission from the north east tourist board!

Regular boat trips are provided by three or four companies and all leave from Seahouses. There are a variety of sailings of different duration and include landing or non-landing on outer Farne. 1.5 to 3 hours. Pre booking is not necessary unless you don't want to risk not being able to do the one that you want. I think the puffins are usually gone by mid July. Outer Farne is a National Trust island. In addition to the various birds there are plenty of seals on the islands until late season.

Lindisfarne is close to the coast and can be reached by a causeway at low tide. Each year some people get stuck by forgetting the tide tables and some sit on top of their floating cars until rescued
Enjoy

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:45 pm

Thanks very much Gerry, that's really nice. Can't wait to get up there. When we get a summer. I did a lot of walking and exploring when I was younger, think I'm wanting to fill in the gaps!

If I saw a seal, that would very satisfying. Almost on my bucket list

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”