Circle in Cambridge Gardens

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Geoff
Site Admin

Circle in Cambridge Gardens

Postby Geoff » Sun May 22, 2016 7:52 pm

Something else i've walked past many-a-time and not thought much of.
What caused this perfect circular dip in Cambridge Gardens?

cambridge-gardens-circle.jpg
Cambridge Gardens Circle

Derek Jempson

Re: Circle in Cambridge Gardens

Postby Derek Jempson » Mon May 23, 2016 6:03 am

Oh, well of course, it's obviously the impression left by a landing alien craft! ;)

ColinL

Postby ColinL » Mon May 23, 2016 10:57 am

Perhaps the site of a centre piece fountain or a former flower bed.

However alternatively it might be a bomb crater. In the very small map in Haskell's, Hastings in Peace & War it looks as if a couple of bombs hit the area.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon May 23, 2016 2:17 pm

I thought it might be a 'Fairy Ring' my parents used to find them in the garden - to keep us sweet I suspect. 8-)

Peter S.

Postby Peter S. » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:43 pm

The circle in Cambridge Gardens is where a shaft was dug during the building of the flood protection-long sea outfall, I cannot remember the year.
I do remember walking through the tunnel on one of two open days after it was completed.
We walked from Warrior Square to the Alexandra Park, and were lowered in and lifted out in a cage by crane.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:18 pm

Amazing, I was totally unaware, except of the later Alexandra Park to sea storm drains.

http://www.1066.net/tunnel/

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:30 pm

It strikes me that if there is a massive storm-overflow tunne linking Alex., Park to Warrior square - and hence to the open sea, why can't it be used to divert the ordinary flow from the Park area that runs down under Priory meadow to the rusting monstrous iron pipe on the beach that looks like a sewer pipe.
Then the iron pipe could be removed - end of story!
Unles it is being retained solely for the purpose of monitoring pollution levels?

Sounds daft to me.

Richard Pollard

Postby Richard Pollard » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:17 pm

If you look at the link below you will see a story from start to finish on the Southern Water Storm Tunnel/s under Hastings & St Leonards.

http://richardpollard.co.uk/as-promised-here-we-have-made-a-start-on-some-300-pictures-of-the-southern-water-storm-tunnel-under-hastings/

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Richard, a phenomenal and amazing account, I hope Geoff got his money's worth!!
What a colossal endeavour in order to protect Hastings against storm-flow.
Also, I do wonder whether the TBM was specially designed for the Hastings' project, or was it one that had already been built, and used, elsewhere?
Or, whether it has ever been used since?
I can't believe TBM's are 'one-off' disposable units.
Additionally, if S. Water can fund such a massive project, how do they make any money?

Richard Pollard

Postby Richard Pollard » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:58 am

Hi Richard

This 7metre TBM was made new for this project, as there wasn't as they say one on the shelf of that actual size. When completed all it's work here in Hastings it was disassembled back into many pieces as it came, but a few more! and shipped back to Germany the same way it came but at Bulverhythe this time for a complete rebuild, as it was destined for yet another use somewhere else in the world. When I put the rest of the pictures on my web site you will see the condition of the TBM when it completed its run and wonder whether it was only fit for the scrap!
I spent nearly 3 days a week on all the sites as I had a pass to enter everywhere and gain access to areas no other member of the public was ever allowed. I had to take a standard underground workers test in the case of flooding or collapse and had to carry rescue equipment on your person all the time you were underground. Probably the best bit was right up at the front end of TMB whilst drilling and seeing first hand how the concrete segments were installed and also see the TBM being pushed by its own rams forward deeper underground. All this was controlled by a single laser light in the tunnel pointing in the right direction, and as this course was followed they were only a millimetre out on breakthrough,hows that?
Quite a few of the workers came from London and the new Jubilee Line construction after it had completed a breakthrough there and they were made redundant, so they joined 'Miller's' Construction.
They were all very cooperative when moving around the site's, but some were very difficult to understand as there were a variety of breeds on the sites, some from Wales, Ireland and broad Scottish, take your pick!!

Keep an eye on the site as new pictures are more or less added daily.
I will be pleased to answer any questions if I know the correct answer that is!!

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”