Forbidden Fruit, 119 Queens Road

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

Re: Forbidden Fruit, 119 Queens Road

Postby Richard » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:27 pm

In respect of the intimate feelings that people have for each other, then I doubt there is any difference at all between gay or straight.
As for fighting for homosexual equality, on every possible matter, then I think that is something rather absurd, yet tolerated in the current climate for what it is worth.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:42 pm

It looks as if the newly-refurbed pub should be ready in a week or two now.
It is being painted near-black, on the exterior building, with a jet-black basal trim.
I have no idea what colour it would have been, going back in time, apart from the cream colour of the recent past, as the Imperial.
The new colour shoud make a very bold statement.
Completely new interior, revolving steel tables and a dungeon for trouble-makers!!
:pirate: :evil: :pirate: :evil: :pirate: :evil:

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:58 am

Stands out now as a bit of a statement in the neighbourhood now.
Darkest blue-black below and terracotta brilliant-orange above!!

pictures to follow...

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:37 pm

I must have a look next time I'm down that end. Sounds intriguing.

I would go out of my way for a "normal" pub in Hastings where you can have a quiet drink in a corner with your paper. Most of the ones in the centre are extremely noisy, the customers are mainly young with tattoos everywhere, ear-rings and bones through their noses ..

Was in the Wetherspoon pub last night with a friend. It was packed with strange youths in grubby tee-shirts and girls with extraordinary hair-do's, very short skirts and massive thighs (they made the bouncers look like wimps). Quite a floor-show really and all for the price of a drink!

The nearest thing to a nice, traditional pub, clean and relaxing, is the Horse and Groom in St Leonards. But the landlord always tries to pick a quarrel with me when he spots me, so I only ever go in there with a friend!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:11 pm

trying to submit and now cannot delete the error
Last edited by Richard on Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:11 pm

imp 2345.gif
Here is the IMP'

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:43 pm

Thanks for posting the photo Richard, nice to keep a visual record.

Looks pretty good to me :D

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:45 pm

Looks rather splendid. The town is crying out for a properly run pub, clean and friendly. One has to live in hope!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:47 pm

My pleasure, Geoff,

There appears to be a new resurgence in business activity along Queens Road now, which is a good sign.
A Chinese supermarket, a Fruit & Veg market, Coffee shops, Carpet and flooring shop, 'EPIK', as well as a fair few Antiques-cum-junk shops which attract customers from far and wide.
Alongside old-established shops such as Halfords and a large Plumbing retail unit near the rail bridge, and not forgetting the Lighting shop always displaying a 'Last Sale' sign in the windows, plus the Kurdish Hairdressers aplenty.

Unfortunately the windows of some foreign businesses are broken by kids high on drugs or alcohol, with regular monotony, they seem to hold a grudge against certain foreigners.
I am still waiting for the deserted shop by the rail-bridge roundabout to resurface but no doubt that will happen soon. It was abandoned after Christmas and there is still a newish car in the locked yard at the rear.

The pub refurbishment shows someone has confidence enough to sink money into the area and I suspect it will soon become a popular attraction again, whilst the new colour scheme should fit in with the local vibe!
:)

moonjiver

Postby moonjiver » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:13 pm

I feel that the "resurgence of business in Queens Road" is deceptive. For several years a succession of shop units have become occupied briefly, then they are empty again. Businesses keep giving up, a few relocating, that is never a good sign in a street. Two of the junk shops are now empty again, several cafes and also hairdressers have come and gone, the really nice pine shop has gone.

It is a great pity, but the reality is that much of Queens Road is far from the town centre and people are not going to traipse down there without some strong incentives. Instead, the street is very shabby, there are few really nice cafes, too many takeaways, and I know more than one person who finds the street intimidating after dark.

I am not a town planner, I don't have quick answers. But it takes time for an area to change - a decent pub would help, also quality shops. But clearly businesses find it difficult to make real money in that part of town.

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”