Conquerors March - Completely New Pub

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

Conquerors March - Completely New Pub

Postby Richard » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:02 pm

I see there is a completely new pub built from scratch and soon to open up on the Ridge not so far from the Rob. de Mortain.
It is a Marston's Pub, I am surprised that there is seen to be an opportunity in that location.

Richard

Re: Conquerors March - Completely New Pub

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:50 am

It's on the new estate past the large new Hospice, en-route to the Mortain Pub.

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:01 pm

Yes, similar type of place to the White Hart out near Guestling, I think? I heard a rumour a while back that it was going to be a Harvester, so did some investigating and found it was a Marstons.

I hope this doesn't effect the Robert de Mortain too much...

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:39 pm

Rob. de M. don't fear the Marstons Pub as they know the new manager, who used to work at the Windmill (Brewer's Fayre).
Reviews have that down as v. poor food and service:

"Manager walking round like he was having a bad day, whe he delivered my food, bits were missing so he tried to say that I had read the menu wrong, funny I learnt how to read at School!! ".

Insomniac

Postby Insomniac » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:29 pm

Oh dear, have avoided the Windmill for years now after hearing awful reviews, it was once a nice place to go. Would've gone to the place just to be nosey, but probably carried on with the Robert if up that way, looks like I won't bother being nosey...

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:56 pm

I'm afraid the R. de Mortain is now boarded over and closed down (since several months ago).
Probably make a nice block of retirement flats!
:(

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Typical eh! Open a brand new pub and force the old one down the road to close. I could understand if Marstons took over the Robert and did their thing with it, but this order of events just means we lose the one with all it's character and history. Shame!

I have tried out the Conqueror's March and while the food wasn't bad, the place was clearly understaffed and when it came to paying we had to wait 20 minutes for the bill. Very frustrating.

Granted, the Robert needed some TLC here and there, but all in all I much preferred it.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:04 pm

Geoff, I think they'd soon shape up with the bill if you made a move to exit.
The Rob. de Mortain was up for sale at offers over £550,000, that's quite a lot of land but I rather liked the spacious feel of the pub and the outdoor garden area below.
After a long walk from St. Helens Road it was a handy place to drop into for a pint.
It wasn't a listed building nor in a conservation area so I suppose anything goes in terms of development.

Wasn't Netherwood somewhere nearby, the mansion that Alistair Crowley frequented?

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”