Amber Rudd

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
ColinL

Re: Amber Rudd

Postby ColinL » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:47 am

Maiden speeches, are by protocol, expected to be general and include praise for the 'honourable member' they have defeated. Mhairi Black of the SNP, the youngest MP with her maiden speech defied protocol and went straight for the Tories jugular vein and tore into their social security programme and slashing of the the modern state as we know it. The You tube video of her speech was viewed 10 million times within 5 days.

The youngest MP ever was 13 in the 17th Century which also reminds me of the Black Adder sketch of the election in Dunny on The Wold where the Pitt the Younger and Pitt the much Younger were characters. The little town of Hastings had two MPs until the 19th century even though large Northern cities of over 100,000 residents might only have one

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:27 am

In Glbert & Sullivan's 'HMS Pinafore' we have Sir Joseph Porter, K.C.B., First Lord of the Admiralty, boasting that:
'I grew so rich that I was sent, by a Pocket Borough into Parliament'.
The wealthy landowners could buy their way into parliament by controlling the votes of the tenants in the property they owned and, since there was no secret votes until the 1870's, tenants could be evicted if they voted for anyone else.
Hence the term 'pocket borough', some landowners holding power by running boroughs held 'in their pocket'.
I think all boroughs (now constituencies) sent two MP's to Parliament up until later Victorian times but reformation and the need to deal with 'rotten/pocket' borough system reduced this number to one, as of today.

roy

Postby roy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:24 pm

Amber Rudd,born in London to a stockbroker,never known real hardship and just another career politician,and a nasty woman after watching her attack Boris.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:57 pm

She seems a bit of a scary lady to me.
However, and regardless of her background, she will be exposed to many real problems including run-down housing estates, prisons, very complicated legal cases, riots, horrors of all kinds.
Prisons in particular can be difficult to administer and are always a major headache that goes with the job.
Deciding whether to grant early release to serious offenders and suffering the consequences if it all goes wrong.
It requires super-human qualities of stamina, intelligence, compassion and good sense.
The Home Office gets the blame for many items inside an extraordinary range of responsibilities that the job entails, even beyond the core business of crime and punishment, immigration, asylum, terrorism and the police.
Theresa May was the former Home Secretary, and only the second of the 23 post-war Home Secretaries who ever went on to become Prime Minister, the other was Jim Callaghan.
A number of others have had to resign or had their political careers irreparably damaged by their time at the Home Office, for example, Michael Howard and Jack Straw.

A poisoned chalice?

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:23 am

"Our Amber" was noticeably absent from the front line-up of the Old Town Carnival Procession yesterday. Presumably, since she is now Home Secretary, the security risk would be too great. Interesting to note that in those years when she did appear, she strode along, isolated on the right of the line, while the Labour Mayor and Council Leader walked on the left!

Richard Pollard

Postby Richard Pollard » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:14 am

I have to say, but have to chose my words very carefully though! In my time as a Parish Councillor for Fairlight and responsible for all roads from Hastings through to Winchelsea Beach I had to meet Amber Rudd a couple of times and found that complete rubbish flowed from her lips, promises, promises, but all to no avail! It's not unlike the Fishermen's fish landing quota that Amber Rudd was going to bring up at the EU, whereby she was going to ensure that Hastings Fishermen got a far better deal in what they caught, against what the Spanish Fishermen were doing to our waters. Again nothing ever happened, and basically I personally have no faith in Amber Rudd what so ever, and this Home Secretary post she holds at the moment I fear will be short lived!
I hope that I have not put my foot in it too deep?

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:03 pm

Well at least now we should get the full fishing rights back - or at least after official 'Brexit' procedures.
'Ruddy Poos' still has a residence in Hastings and for reasons of her high office and the shooting of an MP called Jo Cox recently, security has been increased, her house receives visits from special (black?) surveillance vehicles.
If she can do anything for Hastings, given her new position, then so much the better!
But exactly why she was given such a job in the first place remains to be seen.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:56 pm

Do not think that I can usefully add anything to my earlier comments which,I think, started this thread.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:08 pm

According to the 'Mail Online' Amber Rudd is a direct descendant of King Charles II and his mistress, Barbara Palmer.
Palmer was known for her extravagance, beauty, foul temper and (of course) promiscuity, bearing Charles 5 children.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... emper.html

Diarist Samuel Pepys wrote of Barbara Palmer - ‘I know well enough she is a whore’

That makes Amber Rudd the result of a 'hors d'oeuvre' (something on the side).

Barbara Palmer.jpg

cbe

Postby cbe » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:02 am

Is Amber Rudd STILL in post?

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”