Quiz Time

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

Quiz Time

Postby Richard » Wed May 10, 2017 9:30 pm

I found the following item ? 'bullet' ? in my back garden whilst digging today.
Does anyone know:

a) What age it was?
b) What was its function? It doesn't look like the usual copper casing and lead projectile used to kill people.
There is a small depression (dimple) at the blunt end.
Attachments
bullet 3.JPG
bullet 2.JPG

Geoff
Site Admin

Re: Quiz Time

Postby Geoff » Thu May 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Hmmm, interesting find. I have no idea what it is though. Do you think it's solid or hollow inside? Can you tell by the weight?

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu May 11, 2017 4:09 pm

Hi Geoff!
It feels solid and heavy bronze, definitely not iron or lead, I had first thought of something innocent like a 'plumb-bob' but they are usually much fatter.
This is only 5.6cm long, 1.2cm max thick.
I don't know muvh about bullets but it could possibly be the tip of a bullet, with the casing dropping away as it is fired?
? armour-piercing or tracer ?
WW1 or 2?

Perhaps there is a collection of Hastings' Wartime military stuff somewhere.

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Thu May 11, 2017 8:34 pm

Yes, sounds very bullet-like to me. Perhaps take it up the museum and see if they can identify it.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu May 11, 2017 9:57 pm

Thanks Geoff,
I'll do just that tomorrow.
Apparently, from googling around, similar bullet projectiles are quite commonly discovered, in the ground, especially around the Kent and East Sussex areas.
I do know that WW2 German aircraft often flew over, at low altitudes and targetted their guns to shoot at ordinary people in the street, (certainly in London and Hastings) if they got half a chance.
Similar ammunition may just as well have been from 'home grown' supplies used in war-time for defensive target pratice - it would be interesting to narrow it down, if possible.

Derek Jempson

Postby Derek Jempson » Fri May 12, 2017 6:02 am

could it be a plumb bob? The depression in the blunt end might be the clogged up hole for the line.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri May 12, 2017 10:48 am

Hi Derek,

I think mine is smaller than the following images of bullet projectile parts, but rifle or machine guns bullets all seem to be remarkably the same sort of shape, the latter apparently colour-coded to indicate purpose, armour piercing or tracer, etcetera.
The colour would have worn off long ago under the soil.
Attachments
50 calibre Browning Machine Gun rounds.jpg

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat May 13, 2017 4:43 pm

I went to 'Reeves' on the corner of Courthouse street, now a 'Militaria' etcetera shop, yesterday and Chris the manager said it was definitely a 'Browning .50' caliber machine gun bullet. (.50 means half inch diameter of the projectile!)
Chris said these guns were used in coastal defence at Hastings and Typhoon aircraft were fitted with Browning 50's and that German bullets were not the same at all.
I took the opportunity to buy a complete bullet and cartridge case, with fishing weight shown for scale:
Attachments
Browning calibre 50 bullet.jpg

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sat May 13, 2017 5:13 pm

Well done, 'Militaria Chris' to the rescue :) Nice purchase too, I must pop in that shop one day and have a nose around.

I expect there's quite a few of these in our gardens then. I haven't dug one up yet though. Plenty of old pottery bits, but nothing at all military.

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”