Hastings Pier

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
seahermit

Re: Hastings Pier

Postby seahermit » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:15 am

That's interesting. I was going on two things: firstly, I went into the old ballroom several times and it seemed quite a substantial and impressive structure with rooms upstairs as well. And it did stand up for quite a few years!

Also, the early reports, before repairs began, suggested that the pier was in surprisingly good condition, less work needed than expected .. maybe intensive examination revealed deeper weaknesses. Even so, I find it difficult to see why a light single storey structure could not be feasible. If it was a low but wide covered area, surely the weight would be spread and could be safely supported by the existing framework.

Anyway, it's not my problem. What gets me is that these issues were not properly hammered out before renovation even started. It is obvious that there need to be some kind of entertainmemt facilities in order to make the pier pay for itself.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:05 pm

I think this pier is fairly robust but it is resting in clay in some areas and can only bear so much weight.
All the money went mainly on restoration of the platform and contractors and managers' wages. Little was left to build anything meaningful.
It would be interesting to learn how much the management paid themselves.

I agree re- the absence of any basic attractions from day one of the Pier's operation.
Perhaps the directors expected further hand-outs to keep popping up to cover the high running costs.
At least now there may be urgent changes to the way it is run, but it is difficult to rent out a space on a bare plank. They need funds to build proper rental units and ditch the tiny huts as they are a waste of space.
Three basic permanent areas are needed,:

1. Kids activities - Hastings is full of kids.
2. Adult entertainment, gambling etcetera.
3. A grant for a wind-turbine at the end to generate electricity to illuminate and power the Pier.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:58 pm

Your ideas for the pier are good ones and there are indeed a number of ways in which the pier could make some income. Markets, concerts, jazz bands, children's entertainments etc.(some covered accommodation needed of course).

But what sort of people are making the business decisions? Does it not occur to them to pop down to other resorts and see how others do things?

I find it all a bit depressing. There seens to be a dearth of any real imagination or enterprise in poor old scruffy Hastings.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:51 am

Some buildings on top that can be used as rental units are a top priority imho.
Something that is fun, not a bare expanse of planking.
I feel there is a lot of depression in Hastings, the people need something to cheer them up.
Some people go round looking like zombies, others are drunk as skunks whenever they get the chance, and lots of the women are real 'attack-dogs' looking to unleash a torrent of aggression over the least opportunity.
Beggars on the streets everywhere you turn make the place look seedy and downtrodden.
Stuff on TV like 'East-Enders' seems to let people identify with their miserable situations and find consolation.
I think we need more humour and lightness in our lives not more drugs, drink and miserable or failed projects that cause even more dispair. We desreve better!
Roy is right, the 'Primark' should help with the shopping but entertainment is lacking in Hastings and the Pier was the best chance to do something about it but incredibly it failed before it even started.
Doh!!
:?

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”