Wood Chop - Shop Closing

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

Wood Chop - Shop Closing

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:38 am

The "Wood Chop" DIY shop is closing very shortly_ _ _

Address: 69, Queens Rd
phone: 435230

it will be replaced by a 'Dry Cleaner' :(

john_gale

Re: Wood Chop - Shop Closing

Postby john_gale » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:37 pm

Turkish no doubt , there are lots of turkish establishments along that stretch now_ _ _including Oscars barbers_ _ _ive been using them all year ,,,very good and reasonably priced

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:44 pm

Sad to see Wood Chop go but I guess it had to happen eventually. Anyone know how long they have been there?

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:38 pm

I don't know how long, the current manager has been there, I think only a few years.
I don't know if it was a wood diy shop before or for how long.

Next week I will ask at the shop if he knows anything at all

peter_simpson

Postby peter_simpson » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:30 pm

It's been a 'wood shop' for many, many years - certainly since the mid-1960s, when it was known as 'Cheshires'. At this time there was a really nasty circular saw in the backroom and nothing to stop customers wandering into the saw-room other than a notice saying something like 'do not pass, if you do you aren't covered by our insurance'. My Mum was a sort-of customer. I say sort-of because she got sawdust from there for our guinea-pigs, but it was free if she took her own bag..

Anonymous1

Postby Anonymous1 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:23 am

[quoted]
peter simpson wrote:
It's been a 'wood shop' for many, many years - certainly since the mid-1960s, when it was known as 'Cheshires'. At this time there was a really nasty circular saw in the backroom and nothing to stop customers wandering into the saw-room other than a notice saying something like 'do not pass, if you do you aren't covered by our insurance'. My Mum was a sort-of customer. I say sort-of because she got sawdust from there for our guinea-pigs, but it was free if she took her own bag..
[/quoted]

I remember Cheshires, back in the days when we had a choice of where to get DIY stuff.

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:32 pm

From asking the chap who is leaving, I understand that 'Cheshire' is still the Landlord and it has been in his family for generations
Before it was a DIY place it was an Antiques business

At least there is still a DIY Timber/Wood cutting and bespoke service in the Yard next to Morrison's and the owner is quite helpful if a little droll 8)
I believe he has been there for a bout 16 years.
He went out of his way to help me fit glass panels into a kitchen door of a weekend
I had the panels made to order at 'Croft Glass' (round by the top of Baldslow Road)

ian_frost

Postby ian_frost » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 am

It was Cheshires in the late 40's. The manager/owner was "Pop" Cheshire. the Captain of the 1st Hastings Boys Brigade

peter_simpson

Postby peter_simpson » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:10 pm

Ah - the 1st Hastings! I was a member - but a bit later than that from c1967 to 1973 I think. Attached to St Mary in the Castle when I joined, then we moved to Emmanuel when it closed - and I believe they went to Calvert Memorial Methodist church after that..

doug_cheshire

Postby doug_cheshire » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:18 pm

[quoted]
Ian Frost wrote:
It was Cheshires in the late 40's. The manager/owner was "Pop" Cheshire. the Captain of the 1st Hastings Boys Brigade
[/quoted]

Hi Ian
My grandfather was "Pop" Cheshire and Captain of the 1st Hastings, but he did not own "Cheshire`s". It was in fact owned by his brother Eddie, and my dad, Dennis Cheshire ("Pop`s" son and Eddie`s nephew,) worked there before and post war until after Eddie`s son Vivian took over. Dad retired from there in 1983. I remember the circular saw and was once severely scolded when as a child I pressed the "Start" button!
Doug Cheshire (now living in W London)

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”