Primark

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

Re: Primark

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 pm

seahermit,
Sense and sensibility are all very well in terms of realising it is a rather bad idea to both dress like a Peacock and work down a sewer, but some people dress to show they have money and taste, or for courtship purposes. Fashion too is rarely sensible, witness the Beau or Dandy of the Regency period, or the Crinoline dresses of the Victorian era.
These may well not be everyday items and since they are worn only on special occasions their endurance or impermanence (as a consequence of using quality or second-rate materials) matters little in any case.
On one hand there will always be a market for bespoke tailoring, at a price, for discerning or dare-I-say pretentious customers, but mass-production, though much cheaper, often exhibits weakness in terms of quality control and goods made thus from high quality and natural materials will only appeal to those willing to pay a little extra for them.
I think we both know that many types of consumer goods are made to be disposable these days, versus the recent past and, turning away from the narrow field of clothing apparel, many really expensive items, such as company cars, are all replaced under contract after a certain time-period, regardless of fitness for purpose.
This is because many companies want to present a good image and ageing cars are not indicative of a thriving business.
The modern world wants to make disposable items and now we bemoan the passing of goods that lasted for ever and their replacement with modern stuff which has to be discarded in no time at all, for a variety of reasons.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:37 pm

In that particular post, you referred not to fashionable clothes but to "clothes which flatter us rather than are sensible" and it is that comparison of yours which I am saying does not fit with the reality.

Even taking your later remark that "fashion too is rarely sensible", that is not accurate either. Sports clothes, trainers etc. are very much governed by fashionable trends, yet still need to be highly practical e.g. the colourful and often very desirable gear worn on the ski slopes. And many of the popular men's styles of the last few decades, from Crombie overcoats to tweed or Norfolk jackets to fishermen's polo jerseys (one could go on listing things for ever but I suppose a more modern example would be Berghaus fleeces) very much have their roots in the need for warmth, practicality and durability. Incidentally, all of those items of clothing are still around and enduringly popular - if you go to the right sources!

If by "fashionable" you actually mean the lower, cheaper end of the market embodying all the transient trends of a season, there is a little more truth in the argument that such garments are not "sensible" but I would greatly dispute the suggestion that they were atleast flattering. In my opinion, a lot of modern fashions are plain ugly and often intended to be "different" for dubious reasons - e.g. torn jeans, baseball caps bearing US team logos, hoodies, sleeveless tops .. total absence of any taste or style sense!

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:30 pm

seahermit you have already said the following:
'In some areas like fashion and sports, there is an illusory status symbol appeal to buyers'.
This all proves that advertising and big brand labels can make a lot of money selling apparel regardless of its functionality.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:54 pm

I suppose, to be absolutely precise, there's "sports" and then there's "sports"!!

Previously I meant of course that the better and more expensive sports clothing does indeed seem to conform to certain standards of quality and also practicality.

But a lot of what is sold in shops like JD Sports (or is that the one that's recently gone bust?!) and Sports Direct is modelled on higher-end clothing but is thin, cheap and and pretty rubbishy. Can you imagine professional players buying their stuff in those shops?! Really, it's "leisure" clothing.

Likewise, Millets calls itself an "outdoors" retailer but the clothes largely bear no comparison to what you would find in a proper outdoors shop in London - tough, heavyweight garments which would do very well for a trip to one of the poles. I lifted up a real parka once somewhere in Covent Garden - could hardly hold it up with both hands!

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:42 pm

Fashion down the ages would have made for a brilliant Monty Python sketch.
So much nonsense to explore!
Women will pay hundreds of pounds for handbags by famous makers and their penchant for designer shoes is another matter, as we all know.
It's almost like a drug, ladies will pay over the odds for clothing that makes them feel good/glamorous/sexy/youthful/attractive/desirable.

“A man’s face is his autobiography. A woman’s face is her work of fiction.”
(Oscar Wilde.)
The same applies to clothing, men (unless they are 'Peacocks') look for sensible gear that is well made and long-lasting.
Women will look for anything that flatters.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:31 am

You don't seem to be following the argument very well. Surely the whole point being made is that what is fashionable does NOT necessarily correlate with what also looks good - a lot of modern fashionable clothing , men's or women's, neither looks that attractive nor is of any kind of durable quality.

In any case, I have known plenty of women who don't bother their heads with what is marketed as "sexy" or "glamorous" by the retail industry - yet still manage to look really good and attractive. The appeal comes from the personality within, does not depend on the superficial trappings of a few cosmetics and a flashy dress. It's not what you show, it's what you don't show!

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:18 pm

"You don't seem to be following the argument very well"
I think you have an obsession with durable quality seahermit but we can perhaps agree on your second point:
Namely that we don't need to blindly follow trends and fashions - yet herd instinct, advertising and hero-worship makes people do stupid things.
I always say that just because someone else in your peer group does something doesn't mean you have to do it, but do they listen!?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:35 am

I have spent much of a lifetime avoiding simply doing what other people do! I certainly don't dress according to trends and fashions. I please myself. If what I like happens to coincide with a current trend, that's just the way it turns out sometimes.

But very often, fashions being the superficial and unpredictable things they are, "old-fashioned" items suddenly become the rage again. There was some mention of tank-tops in the press recently and waistcoats are currently "in" - cos the England manager wears one (oh God!). Other things, like fedoras, Tweed jackets, corduroys etc. never really disappear - they are just quietly worn and enjoyed by the discerning amongst us!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:42 am

P.S. Of course in this (for me) splendid and enjoyable heatwave, I like to pull on just a tee-shirt and slacks. But not just ANY tee-shirt of course - I don't want to be mistaken for one of the masses ..!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:13 am

P.P.S. Lest there should be a false impression, of course I am not a snob - you can ask anyone who knows me. Anyone who matters, that is ..

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”