Primark

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

Re: Primark

Postby Richard » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:18 pm

A friend recently gave me a pair of sunglasses, a designer label and very light-weight, costing over £50, by 'Prada'.
I normally only pay £1 for a pair of cheapo' sunglasses.
These are superb, I can't feel I am wearing them, they are worth every penny, plus I feel good and enjoy 'swanning around' attracting attention.

Worth every penny - of someone elses money!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:35 pm

For some reason, I have never got on with sunglasses. After all, they basically work by restricting the light and therefore your vision! I once tried a pair of tinted optical glasses which in theory should have been better, but no .. I prefer a hat tilted over my face in Bogart style!

In any case, I have to say that if a friend of mine spent £50 on just shading his eyes, I know some very good therapists .. And people only know the specs are Prada if you tell them!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:46 pm

P.S. Besides, as you get older, you seem to need to carry too many bits and bobs ... I'm already carting around a pair of specs, magnifying glass (invaluable), a device for my lug'ole, some pills to keep me alive (sort of), always a book, other probably unnecessary stuff. Maybe I need a handbag ..

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:56 pm

It is very difficult to apply a rational philosophy on fashion.
I appreciate the 'Prada' sunglasses, they are a one piece wrap-around 'visor' not two lenses which look so mass-produced. You can tell they are 'Prada' they have a bold colourful logo on one arm to that effect.
Yet for reading-glasses I buy the three for £1.65p from ESK (times 1.5 or 2.0 magnification) and feel very happy not to pay a lot more from most high-street retailers for prescription glasses.
So my enjoyment of fashion, my philosophy is not even-handed across the board.
And, for instance, what man or woman (from whatever background) has not felt a thrill to see a beautiful stylish car and the desire to own one?
Fashion is 'horses for courses' and a bit unpredictable and difficult to divine...

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:11 pm

As I said, I'm not much bothered about fashion, except for not looking too out-of-date and archaic I suppose. I buy what I like.

If money was no object, I have always hankered after the Porsche 911. And possibly a genuine US army jeep too, nice and practical, you just hose it out when it gets dirty! Paint it mustard yellow and go up into the Welsh mountains with a tent. But just playthings .. the roads are horrible these days and relaxing on the train is much nicer, followed by buckets of walking.

I bought a pair of reading glasses from a pharmacy recently for £6, they look good and do the job. The ESK ones are worth checking out, but why do you need three? I suppose you could leave them in different places, study, kitchen etc. to save hunting for a pair after you've put them down!

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:24 am

I too have a pair of ESK reading glasses and think they do a great job. £1 for the specs and £1 for the soft case to keep them in.

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:19 pm

I have many pairs of 'el-cheapo' glasses distributed around the house - because I easily lose things and they turn up again in strange places.
I even try to tuck a pair into a bag for the supermarket because I can't otherwise read the tiny print on packets on the shelves..
No point spending big money on something that is easily lost, that at least makes good sense.

As for women with their unpractical high-heels and 'make-up' well we really can't compete on that level and so we are outclassed and have to fall back on sensible hobbies and a shed or 'man-cave'.
If you desire women you accept their foibles, if you desire material things you need deep pockets also but at least objects don't answer back.

No peace for the wicked, just go with the flow or you will end up in a dark place muttering to the walls!
:)

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:11 am

So the Administrator does read some of this idle gossip! £1 for a practical pair of specs can't be bettered and, yes, I have become aware that highstreet spectacles are largely a terrible rip-off - I gather that the cost-price of the frames is often a fraction of the price you pay over the counter.

As regards women, I have to be careful of revealing too much about myself here .. but I don't tend to be impressed by women with very high heels and tons of cosmetics. They are often not the ones who can talk about deep matters like the meaning of life and why it's so hard to get the last drop of toothpaste out of the tube. Again, "appeal" is not about the fancy trimmings, it comes from that certain something within!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:29 pm

Idle Gossip! Indeed.
Those are the best parts, like when you have a Cricket match stopped, owing to rain, and the commentator(s) start to chat about anything but the immediate game in hand.
Many people may be superficial of course and 90 odd % are both selfish & stupid but there is little that can be done about it.

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”