New Micro-Pub in Queens Road

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

New Micro-Pub in Queens Road

Postby Richard » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:13 pm

The pub’s name – 'Twelve Hundred Postcards' – relates to the site’s former use as a sweet shop more than 100 years ago when the owner also secretly sold French postcards under the counter.
This illegal activity led to the premises being raided and the owner found guilty of corrupting the morals of the local community.
He was sentenced to three months of hard labour in jail and the twelve hundred postcards that sealed his fate were destroyed.

This Bar/Pub is located at 80 Queens Road, approximately opposite Morrison's garage.

https://en-gb.facebook.com/1200Postcards/

Richard

Re: New Micro-Pub in Queens Road

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:33 am

More on the background of "The Chocolate Box" at 80 Queens Road:

http://www.sussexpostcards.info/publish ... ?PubID=291

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:46 am

I'm a bit miffed as to where this one is. I thought at first it was the pub far down Queens Road on the right-hand side. Opposite Morrisons, the only bar I know of is the "Drift In" (great name!).

The new one must be a shop premises - and not a highly eye-catching frontage, cos I must have walked right past it!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:10 pm

seahermit, the shop/Bar in question is right next door to the 'Arty' cafe 'Cookhouse'.
80. Queens Road, as stated.
Opposite the lower entrance to Morrisons Petrol Station.
The signage on the 'shop' window is rather ornate and it is clearly a Bar inside.

Sometimes I do wonder about you seahermit, you are like the horse that one cannot even lead to water, let alone make it drink.
You object on all manner of levels and then even if we get you there you will complain about the decor or the opening hours or the funny people or the flavour/taste of the beer, which you will say is too expensive anyway and not your kind of place at all!
:)

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:07 pm

Don't spoil my enjoyment of grumpiness at times .. and don't take me too seriously!

I don't mind being led to water (or alcohol) but I suppose I am a bit fussy regarding what drinking holes I actually want to imbibe in. I like the Old Town pubs very much but am not impressed by the town centre venues - rather noisy and grubby. The Weatherspoon pub is a convenient meeting place and even quite cosy on a quiet evening, but the tables are consistently filthy and littered with used plates etc. Not enough staff of course.

Last month I found a beautiful and spotless micro pub called The Lanes in Dover - bought a gin flavoured with fresh blackcurrants, by far the best gin I have ever tasted.

I will check out your bar in Queens Road. If it's nice, it will attract me back!

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:13 pm

I can't take you seriously seahermit having seen you in the flesh - although that shouldn't be taken too literally! :)
We shall have a drink one day but I am just starting on my second round of grotty virus in the sinus and throat, so it won't be for a while yet.
Gin seems to be the new whisky nowadays, more varieties than you can shake a stick at and expensive tonic-water to boot.
Not so long ago there was only plain ordinary gin and mother used to add sloes and sugar to make a very heady / heavy brew...

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:53 am

Good heavens, you didn't see too much flesh I hope?!

Sorry about your virus. There probably aren't any real antidotes to colds but I always felt that fruit juices, vitamins etc. helped one withstand the effects better and recover more quickly. Sweating it out seems to work too!

Your mother's recipes are making my mouth water .. one day I might return to some home brewing. Not beer, something more powerful.

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”