EU Elections

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
seahermit

Re: EU Elections

Postby seahermit » Thu May 23, 2019 9:02 pm

The example I quoted re: the Poll Tax was not at all unlikely. True, my memories of the complexities are now probably quite hazy but one of the major complaints was that the same level of charge was levied regardless of an individual's wealth (or lack of it). It caused much resentment and was criticised even by some of those Tory MPs who later opposed Thatcher remaining in power.

I don't have allegiance to any political dogma or label, I try to assess what seems right for the country in the current situation - which means my loyalties have wandered a bit, sometimes to the right, sometimes the other way if my social conscience is bothering me.

In practice I am probably being just as much a dummy as the rest of us, in believing that our wants and opinions carry any weight at all with politicians!

Off to the polls shortly. Sounds like a very intense atmosphere, do I need defensive weaponry?! Well, if it all gets more confrontational and the Tory government still doesn't get the message about what we said we wanted (two years ago), it's off to the barricades singing "Rule Britannia" ...

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu May 23, 2019 9:18 pm

Richard, I have tried hard to find some morsel of your post which I can grumpily disagree with but without success!

Spot on, the two issues show precisely the same short-term vision, failure to properly read the minds of the public and a blissful oblivion as to how things could unravel and lead to completely unforseen consequences.

I really don't know where this all leading, it is stating the obvious to say we are in uncharted territory, but at least there is some real politics happening and the electorate are ENGAGED! Little apathy in evidence amongst the punters ...

northants1066

Postby northants1066 » Thu May 23, 2019 9:29 pm

[
We will find out tomorrow if this was an isolated incident, if it's not the brexit party will get a huge vote.
I think we will end up leaving with no deal after these elections.

We wont find out the result until after 10pm sunday. I too heard many comments today regarding Brexit Party and think not only will they win by a landslide but the actual numbers who voted will be a record for Euro elections in the UK.

As an aside I was looking at the composition of our current MEP's. In every region of England ,except London, no party has more MEP's than UKIP. In 2014 UKIP got 21 MEP's so I expect the Brexit Party to get about 30 this time.

I agree with your second comment. It seems very likely now that Boris or some other staunch Brexiteer will become PM and just allow the clock to run down until Oct 31st and we leave on WTO terms, which is what we should have done on June 24th 2016!!.

cbe

Postby cbe » Fri May 24, 2019 10:58 am

Northants - regarding your last paragraph - I agree with it except for describing Boris as a staunch Brexiteer. Boris is a staunch Boriseer

Richard

Postby Richard » Fri May 24, 2019 11:27 am

I went to vote late last night and to be honest found the huge choice of Parties - about twelve, plus a couple of independents - to be a rather confusing mess.
I think a lot of the Parties were cobbled together at the last minute, didn't always have clear (if any) manifesto's and the 12 different regions, ours being the S.E., had different Parties, seats and candidates.

Labour and the Conservatives seem unclear about what they are supporting as do many of the others, there will be two more rounds of voting for the winning Party (internally, I guess) and even then those actually elected may never actually take their seats.
This would be the case if T.May's withdrawal agreement comes to pass or in the case that the UK leaves the European Union, the European Parliament will reduce the number of its seats from the current 751 to 705. This means that 46 of the UK’s 73 seats will be removed, and 27 will be redistributed to ‘under-represented’ countries.

What a waste of time all round then!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon May 27, 2019 1:14 am

As the results come in tonight, I can hardly believe the figures for the Brexit party - it crossed my mind that someone had added some noughts by mistake! What a bloodbath - massive majorities for the Brexit candidates, the Conservatives of course expected to do badly but their performance has in fact proved to be appalling. If these results were reflected in a general election (won't happen of course), it would transform UK politics ...

Even so, heavy votes also for the Remainers and the country is still very polarised. Not a healthy situation and indicates more turmoil to come unfortunately.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon May 27, 2019 11:46 am

Though Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party did well in the U.K., capturing first place, it’s unlikely to play much of a role in the next Parliament without membership in one of the main alliances, which seems unlikely.
The voters were turned off by the Tories, who couldn't deliver a deal over Brexit and Labour who are still sitting on the fence giving out mixed messages.
A new Tory leader at the reigns shortly - that should be an opportunity to shake the dust out of the carpet.

cbe

Postby cbe » Mon May 27, 2019 10:56 pm

seahermit - the polarisation has been caused by the losers in a democratic vote, for the first time I can recall,refusing to accept the result. That is why there is a problem. We have an establishment, a MSM and 90% of the HoC who will not act on the instructions they were given.
Richard - an alliance won't matter - they will be there but a few weeks.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue May 28, 2019 12:19 am

I of course agree with all of that. There has always been some disconnect between politicians and the electorate they are supposed to be "representing" (as opposed to doing precisely what they want to do once they get into the Commons!), but this time round the level of arrogance must surely have exceeded all previous known records.

A number of people in the street tonight were interviewed by News at Ten - the word "angry" came out repeatedly. The sooner Boris makes a firm stand against the Remainers, thus provoking an inevitable confrontation across the UK, the sooner we can don our yellow vests and go out to fight for what we voted for ... almost three years ago.

cbe

Postby cbe » Tue May 28, 2019 2:01 pm

Amen to that.

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”