Lit Fest

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

Lit Fest

Postby Richard » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Lots of stuff here for the literary minded:

https://hastingslitfest.org/

I hoe seahermit will find something of interest :)

seahermit

Re: Lit Fest

Postby seahermit » Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:57 pm

I didn't have time to react to this before. But yes, some really good things happening. I was always surprised that, with so many writers in Hastings, there were no proper literary events - plenty of music festivals of one kind or another. Well done to the enthusiasts who have atlast got together to organise this comprehensive festival programme (this is their second year of running). It's worth getting hold of the printed brochure of events (some pubs, Information Centre) because it is well put together, simple and clear, and there are a lot of very tempting events.

My favourites might be:

Fri. Aug. 30th at St Mary in the Castle - Richard Blair talking about his father George Orwell.

Sat. Aug. 31st at East Sussex College - Book Fair (free entry)

Sun. Sept. 1st at Stade Hall - Professor Alice Roberts on human evolution (lovely personality, very knowledgeable and she still wears those tight tee-shirts!)

Also a number of workshops and talks on publishing. And on writing of course.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:25 pm

Richard Blair will also be on the Dystopian fiction panel at the Kino theatre on Saturday 31st August, 10-12 p.m. but tickets are £12, although there is also a free screening of 1884, 13.00 to 15.45 p.m. which would cost £9 to view without the discussion.

As for Alice Roberts, I never could take her very seriously and never noticed the tee-shirts!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:16 am

I have to confess to not being able to finish "1984" - I found it too disturbing. Might try it again some time but .. it now seems even more prophetic about the way the world is going - repressive regimes, surveillance societies, restriction of individual freedom and of freedom of expression. Or am I just being pessimistic?

Alice Roberts is a very pretty little lass and an articulate presenter. When she was a bit younger, I did find the tee-shirts we're distracting me!

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:35 am

Gotcha! - I was thinking of Mary Beard for some reason.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Ha ha! And oh dear! I'm sure Mary Beard means well and she is a competent presenter .. but not in a million years could you mistake her for Alice Roberts.

Not quite the Lit Fest but the monthly poetry "open mic" is on tonight (third Thursday) at Bookbuster in Queens Road. Starts quite early, 6pm I think.

If I can make it, I will report back. I might possibly read out something, though not done that for ages.

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”