How to deal with a complaining neighbour

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
seahermit

How to deal with a complaining neighbour

Postby seahermit » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:49 pm

I am myself surprised how I keep turning to the forum with my troubles, but there seem to be some quite well-informed and helpful people here!

I am in a house with four flats and a woman recently moved in on the ground floor. For several months, she seemed content, no problems at all.

Suddenly a string of emails and notes to me complaining at first about my plant-pots - she said that there were no plants around when she moved in, recently pots were all down the hallway (as well as outside), all causing an obstruction, plants were bringing flies into the house, the compost made the house smell etc. etc.

Most of her complaints are invented and are easy to disprove (photos and witnesses), so I cannot quite see how how she hopes to succeed.

However, she is now alleging intimidation by both myself and other neighbours, post being opened and some other issues.

Clearly the tenant has some problems, but she has written to my landlord and also to her own landlady. The latter has made no attempt to contact me or investigate the validity of the complaints - instead she is treating them as proven and true and is passing them around to other parties referring to the "unacceptable behaviour of other people in the house" etc.

I have written to the landlady of the ground-floor flat and already expressed my view that her actions are highly irresponsible and potentially libellous, in view of the false nature of the allegations she is passing on.

However, I now have to explore what legal options are open to me if the other parties resolve to press on with this. Another tenant and myself are united in feeling that we must knock these allegations on the head, completely refute them and if possible seek an apology or retraction.

Easier said than done! I don't have concerns about my public reputation (probably totally in tatters anyway), but obviously all this could have some impact on my life, affect my standing as a tenant and future relationships with landlords etc. I wonder if I should start getting some legal advice and thinking about defending myself effectively, if the situation escalates and I have to seek redress?

I don't think I have ever encountered a situation quite like this one, some strange people around though, particularly in Hastings area!

Richard

Re: How to deal with a complaining neighbour

Postby Richard » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:30 pm

Unless you are accused of a lease violation by your landlord and threatened with court action on such grounds (with reasonable proof that would stand up in court) then just try to act calmly and record a diary of any instances of allegations by the new neighbour and write to your landlord (or email, etcetera) explaining the situation, without any emotion or prejudice.
That way you show you are being reasonable and yet understandably feel the need to highlight the situation you find yourself in.
It is unlikely that court action would be invoked by your landlord on the say-so of a new tenant or their landlady (or the new tenant's landlady) without strong evidence showing you to have wilfully broken your lease agreement.

If people make allegations without evidence and facts to prove their assertions they may be seen to be in the wrong.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks very much for your comments, Richard. It is of course important to keep a record of all complaints and allegations and the other tenant, not being very clever, has helped me there. Her statements are all in black and white in emails and easy to disprove by evidence and by witnesses. They would therefore be of little help to any landlord who wished to take some sort of action.

I remain more concerned about the other tenant's landlady taking the attitude that her tenant's allegations are proven and true - and repeating them to the other landlords. All without first approaching me and without even replying to my stiff emails.

That aspect is bad and I am examining my position legally and what powers I have to demand a response from her and to stop what amounts to malicious and false gossip being passed around. I think I will be seeking some professional advice before long!

Richard

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:08 pm

It costs money to invoke a solicitor's letter to send warnings to the complainant.
Perhaps first send a letter/email to all landlords (plus complaining tenant) explaining the allegations and that you will pass these on to your solicitor and take further action if the unfounded assertions, which amount to defamation, are repeated again by the tenant in question.
Libel is when the defamation is written down and circulated to several people (including via email, bulletin boards, and websites).

Or perhaps it is just rather trivial comment and should best be ignored?
These are difficult times and worse things happen than tenant neighbours making complaints!

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:03 pm

Thanks Richard, that is exactly the course of action I have been contemplating! If the situation deteriorates and my complaints (about complaints!) are ignored, then it may still be necessary to obtain some legal assistance. It does cost money but it can also bring peace of mind.

Once, long ago, I got a solicitor to write on my behalf to someone who was harassing me and ignoring requests to terminate contact. In that case, it stopped the problem dead.

Yes, everyone has had unfounded and nuisance complaints from bored neighbours, but this is a bit borderline now. Allegations about post being opened and intimidation are rather more serious, even the owner of the basement flat (charming Scottish lass) is talking about involving the police in order to get the air cleared and frivolous accusations laid to rest.

Well, hopefully it won't come to that but I am looking around for solicitors!

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:57 am

There are some abusive characters on the streets that can be very difficult to deal with too.
I know a bitter aggressive old woman who goes around being nasty, trying to provoke an argument, and then making a scene, even hitting out if you dare to say anything. I am told that she was abused by men in the past, plus alcohol, and has a chip on her shoulder against men in general now. Mental health issues!
There are some rotten people I am afraid, plenty of nutters and often nuisance types are to be seen being thrown out of Morrisons by security.
:(

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:50 am

I have noticed that my neighbour seems to have one shoulder much lower than the other. May be that something heavy is weighing it down ..!

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”