Covid cases in Hastings

Chat about anything local that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Richard

Re: Covid cases in Hastings

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:26 am

Not arguing with anyone, just showing how manipulative Trump is.
Aside from that, on international business he has imposed a series of tariffs on China, Mexico, Canada, the European Union, and other trading partners.
There is a debate about their effectiveness.
A lot of Trump's rhetoric comes to nothing really, partly because there is a lot of inertia built in to the Washington system, and it takes real, detail-oriented work to actually push any policy change through to fruition.
The Trump administration is not putting in this hard work, and thus not seeing the results.
Basically I think Trump does not see any difference between campaign rally rhetoric and official presidential announcements, is not particularly concerned with the truthfulness of his claims, and is never willing to admit a mistake.
Trade policy analysts and journalists need to catch up to this reality, to 'wise up' and start seriously discounting the importance of Trump trade policy announcements, on both the protectionism and the liberalization fronts.
The tendency to chase after every Trump trade announcement as though it signifies a shift in policy has obstructed a deeper truth, namely that if we look at how it is actually implemented, Trump’s trade policy simply isn’t that different from that of his predecessors.
A Biden administration would almost certainly adopt a more confrontational trade policy with China than Clinton, Bush, and Obama operated.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:51 pm

I don't think there is any dispute about Trump being manipulative. The point is that he is not even good at his own manipulation, because a lot of his outbursts are indeed just rhetoric and wind and he contradicts them later. Apart from, as you say, some confrontations internationally and trade restrictions, it is hard to see anything which he has really achieved.

The virus pandemic is a perfect example of his style. A confused, ineffective response, poor leadership and downplaying the danger, mocking the experts. None of that is a sign of a leader fully in touch and in control of the situation.

There are many examples I could think of which cast doubt on his suitability for office. I can't remember the details but he was lined up to visit some place for military veterans, some disabled, and declined saying that he wasn't interested in "a bunch of losers". People who had risked (or given) their lives for their country. Can't think of a more appalling attitude.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 05, 2020 7:00 pm

Apparently the secret service advised against that visit to a veterans cemetry owing to bad weather affecting the helicopter trip.
Mr. Trump denied that he made the remarks repeatedly over the course of the day and rallied current and former aides who backed him up on the record. “It’s a fake story and it’s a disgrace that they’re allowed to do it,” he told reporters in the Oval Office, insisting that he respected the troops. “To me, they’re heroes,” he said. “It’s even hard to believe how they could do it. And I say that, the level of bravery, and to me, they’re absolute heroes.”
A female military employee said "I know the Press can twist politicians words and use them out of context.There is a constant barrage of anger toward him, willing to use whatever hurts."

The president was alleged to have made the comments as he was set to visit the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery during a trip to France in Nov. 2018. The White House said the visit was scrubbed because foggy weather made the helicopter trip from Paris too risky and the 90-minute drive deemed infeasible.
Trump, who traveled to Pennsylvania, told reporters after he returned to Washington that the Atlantic report was "a disgraceful situation" by a "terrible magazine."
"I would be willing to swear on anything that I never said that about our fallen heroes," Trump told the reporters, gathered on the tarmac in the dark. "There is nobody that respects them more. No animal - nobody - what animal would say such a thing?"
Biden naturally seized on the alleged and anonymous allegations to gain political advantage.

Be careful of what you believe that is reported in the news media.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:47 pm

If only life was as black and white as that!

From CNN:

September 4, 2020 at 7:19 PM EDT
Senior and former military leaders appeared to struggle Friday with how to respond to a report that President Trump disparaged U.S. service members killed in combat as “losers,” as the president attacked the allegations as “fake news.”

The article elicited an array of reactions amid Trump’s history with the military, which includes mocking Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) for being captured in Vietnam, belittling the parents of an Army officer killed in Iraq, and dismissing brain injuries suffered by U.S. troops in an Iranian ballistic missile strike as “headaches.”

I didn't say that I automatically believed all that appears in the media. Any sensible person suspends full judgement, since the real truth invariably comes out in the end, albeit often years later.

But the allegation about the veterans was vigorously defended by the ex-administration official who reported it, as being confirmed by multiple sources. It also fits in with numerous other disparaging and offensive tweets/public statements by Trump - he is that kind of person.
Even if only some of it were true, he still comes over as a deeply unpleasant and bigoted character.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:56 pm

As I said, I find it incredible that you feel it important to defend someone like Trump. I think you are very much out on your own ..

However, I think this has gone as far as it can, Richard. It is very much off-topic and it's all old news and in the media for those who wish to peruse! People are free to make their own minds up .. and many have.

Richard

Postby Richard » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:29 am

seahermit, I agree we have strayed,
Please don't take negative media news as gospel, many do indeed.
Negative news sells better and attracts sales.
Don't always believe what you read, there may be an agenda and you may be being manipulated.

Covid has attracted too many headlines and has made people ill with worry.
The government are not managing as well as they might.
Statistics are open to misinterpretation.
A balanced view has to be taken.

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:15 pm

You are preaching to the converted, Richard! I am probably more sceptical than anyone. I have several different news sites bookmarked, UK and abroad, and it is interesting how much they vary and how patterns emerge.

The Guardian posts consistently come out with damning anti-Tory assessments as if the end of the world is near, the Independent the other day was portraying Trump as showing all the signs of a would-be fascist dictator (do these young journalists have any idea what living in a real fascist society was like?!) .. The Mirror is consistently left-wing. The US papers, New York Times etc., seem fairly balanced but are somewhat dismayed by Trump. BBC of course is more reliable, MSN News is quite good, other news sites are sensationalist.

In the end, make your own mind up what seems credible.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:33 am

Have you had the flu jab yet seahermit?

seahermit

Postby seahermit » Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:12 pm

No, should have done. Not even sure where surgery is, they have moved. Soon. Maybe a chemist.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Oct 07, 2020 7:13 pm

The sooner the better and then you will have an improved immune-response system, to fight any virus, perhaps including the dreaded Covid-90 (or 20/21?). Not sure really but it makes some sense in the scheme of things.
Your arm will probably ache for a couple of days, but you may actually feel a little better.
It is alleged that ailing Popes used to be given the blood of a virgin, by transfusion, to boost their health.
Maybe that was a myth.

Return to “General Hastings Chat & Friendly Banter”