Alexa Elphinston died 1850 where is she buried?

Looking for someone in the Hastings area, try posting a message here
marcia_diamant

Postby marcia_diamant » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:49 pm

Would appreciate any help in finding grave of above. She died on 26th December at 33 Marina St, St Mary Magdalen.

Wonder if she may have been buried in the graveyard in St Leonards that slipped down the hill from from West Hill Road.

If she was there is it likely that she would have been reburied if it got too dangerous? I lived in St Leonards as a child and can remember walking down the steps behind the church and the graveyard was in a precarious state even then.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

CroptopMartin

Postby CroptopMartin » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:15 am

Hope this gets to you as yours is an old posting.

If you have obtained a copy of her death certificate, the site office at Hastings cemetery on The Ridge, were extremely helpful to me, when I was seeking graves of my ancestors of a similar time frame to your ancestor.

Worth a visit or phone call.

Martin (live now in Bexhill).

[quoted]
Marcia Diamant wrote:
Would appreciate any help in finding grave of above. She died on 26th December at 33 Marina St, St Mary Magdalen.

Wonder if she may have been buried in the graveyard in St Leonards that slipped down the hill from from West Hill Road.

If she was there is it likely that she would have been reburied if it got too dangerous? I lived in St Leonards as a child and can remember walking down the steps behind the church and the graveyard was in a precarious state even then.

Thanks to anyone who might be able to help.

[/quoted]

caroline_lancaster

Re: Alexa Elphinston died 1850 where is she buried?

Postby caroline_lancaster » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Hello Marcia

There is a burial for an Alexa Elphinstone, age 14, of St Mary Magdalen, on 2 January 1851 at the church of St Leonard in St Leonards. There is info on Wikipedia about the church, which was destroyed during the war in 1944 and then rebuilt. The location is on the Marina. There is also more info and a photo via the website www.stleonardschurch.org/

I hope this is useful.
Best wishes
Caroline

Return to “Lost Relatives / Friends”