Henry Walter Broadhurst - The First Taxis in Hastings

Looking for someone in the Hastings area, try posting a message here
peter_millington

Henry Walter Broadhurst - The First Taxis in Hastings

Postby peter_millington » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:28 pm

I am researching my family tree and have discovered that Henry Walter Broadhurst and his family were the first to commence taxi services in Hastings. This service grew out of a Coach service where the stables/livery was situated in West Hill Road St Leonards. He started by pushing bath chairs along the sea front. Perhaps a good deal of his business came from the "well to do" patients that found themselves in the Eversfield Hospital which at that time accommodated patients with tuberculosis. The only treatment for the condition in the late 1800s early 1900s was bracing fresh air which we have in abundance, and still do!
Any help would be apprecieted.
Peter Millington l.l

broadhurstb

Re: Henry Walter Broadhurst - The First Taxis in Hastings

Postby broadhurstb » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:02 pm

Dear Peter Millington
My maiden name is Broadhurst. My family originate from St Leonard's Sussex. I am a descendant of John and Harriet Broadhurst. Their son Frederick born 1848 is my great grandfather. I think your relative is his brother.
Please contact me if you would like to share information.

Barbara

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:51 am

Skinners Cars
November 1, 1858
A Mr Jeremiah Skinner took a 99-year lease on a large plot of land in Western Road, where he built stables and coach houses. By the end of the century this is a motor business too, with buses and taxis. In the 20th century it soon became a well-known car dealer (Skinners).

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:35 pm

Is London road taken as the boundary between St. leonards and Hastings?
In which case there was a main Taxi cab outfit (horse-driven) originally present in each region:

1. West Hill Road St Leonards, to the west (Broadhurst's)?

2. Western Road Hastings, to the east (Skinner's)?

sabre34

Postby sabre34 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:26 pm

Henry Walter Broadhurst was my great grandfather and I have a picture of him on my wall sitting on one of his carriages. My grandfather Horace Broadhurst then took over the business. When I was a child my family would stay at the house on West Hill which had the stables and garages behind. Last recollection was visiting my aunts who were then living there. Not sure what has happened since then.

Elementalpixie

Postby Elementalpixie » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:52 pm

This is fascinating - over the last few days I have been doing a lot of research on Henry Broadhurst. I live in a flat in West Hill Road and when we moved in (back in 1988) we were told that the property used to be stables. I have (finally!) got round to doing some research and believe that it was indeed stables, and that it was likely to be the premises owned by Henry Broadhurst. I'd absolutely love to see any photos of the premises (or indeed of Mr Broadhurst).

Spice180

Postby Spice180 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:40 pm

Hello, I have been reading your posts and I was wondering if anyone had any information on my family as they were all in the fly carriage business around St Leonard's and Hastings. Their surname was Spice and I think they then went into the motoring side. I have read an article that mentions Skinners Yard. Thank you for any assistance

broadhurstb

Postby broadhurstb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:48 pm

I am a descendant of Frederick Broadhurst born 1848. He is my great grandfather and Henry Walter's brother. I have a photograph of Frederick's wife.
I also have a photocopy of an advertisement found in an old magazine at Hastings Museum (in St Leonards). It is a photograph of a caravan with four people by it. -probably family members. It is titled A CHEAP IDEAL HOLIDAY. -can be spent in this caravan which is now stationed close to the sea midway between Bexhill and St Leonards. Can be hired by the week or for weekends at a very moderate rent. For particulars apply to H. BROADHURST West Hill, St Leonards.
I would be very interested to know exactly where the stables were in West Hill Road and would be interested in a photocopy of Henry Walter's photograph if that is possible please.

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:36 am

Hi broadhursth,

It shouldn't be too difficult to locate the stables in West Hill Road, via enquiry at the Hastings library, but a photo may be quite a different matter, although you say you have a photocopy of a magazine picture of it anyway.
Actually you do not state the date of the magazine you refer to and dates are always useful.
There were probably several 'mews' where stables would be located on that road and a search through street directories of the relevant date should prove conclusive evidence.

From an entry in the Hastings Chronicle:

1900 Jan 22 – Hastings Council advertised for people to apply for licences ‘to run two motor cars to be ready for plying for hire by Easter next’. The cars had to be built in such a way as to comply with the regulations of the Locomotives on Highways Act 1896. These were to be the first Hastings taxis. The first two started work that Easter. On 28 June 1901 the Council agreed to allow more than two cars to have licences.

Of course the article meant "the first two 'motor' taxis".

Geoff
Site Admin

Postby Geoff » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Ahhh West Hill Road, my old stomping ground. There's a bunch of (what looks like) old stable blocks tucked behind the houses, facing the sea. You probably wouldn't notice them if you just drove along there. A bit close to the cliff for my liking :(

west-hill-road-stables.jpg

Return to “Lost Relatives / Friends”