Old Graveyards - Church of England

Looking for someone in the Hastings area, try posting a message here
Pieta Thornton

Old Graveyards - Church of England

Postby Pieta Thornton » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:19 am

I am presently researching Family History. A relative of mine died at 1 White Rock Place, in 1853. Her name was 'Elliot Hardie', married to Gavin Hardie. The informant was a woman called Philadelphia Page of 15 Union Rd, Hastings. I was wondering whether anyone could tell me whether there are any graveyards in or around the said area where Elliot would have been buried? She was Church of England. Also, is there a History Group / Society, or Society of Genealogists in the Hastings area?

Thank You.

Pieta Thornton
Sydney, Australia

1066pastor

Re: Old Graveyards - Church of England

Postby 1066pastor » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:27 pm

The Borough Cemetery in Hastings opened in 1850. She was most likely buried there. Hastings sand Rother Genealogy Society have transcripts of the early burials there and I think you can get the information on a disk

patrick

Postby patrick » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:08 am

The local Reference Library has records of all the births and deaths in the area from early times.. There s a Local History group in the Museum, Summerfields, Cambridge Road, they may be able to help you. Also Hastings Cemetary on The Ridge will have records of all burials around that time, 1850's.

Chris in 1066

Postby Chris in 1066 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:37 pm

1066pastor

Sorry, but the first burial in the new Hastings Cemetery was on the 2nd December 1856 - some 3 years after the death of Elliot Hardie

I would have thought St Mary in the Castle would have been the venue of the burial - but not sure

Chris in 1066

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:45 am

Hi Pieta
I have looked on the Sussex Family History Group and also the Online Parish Clerks databases and cannot find a burial for Eliot. Of course the transcriptions are not always complete. There is also the Hastings and Rother Family History Society http://www.hrfhs.org.uk/

Just in case the Hastings Cemetery has knowledge of other records they can be contated on
cemandcrem@hastings.gov.uk Tel no 01424 451057
Good luck in the search

Chris in 1066

Postby Chris in 1066 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi Pieta

I have checked the Burial register for St Mary-in-the-Castle between its first and last burial1828 - 1900, and there is not a HARDIE or similar listed. Sorry about that..

Chris in 1066

Chris in 1066

Postby Chris in 1066 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Pieta

I have today checked the GRO indexes and found that your Elliot Hardie died in the first quarter of 1853.

I have further checked the burial registers for All Saints and for St Clements for that period and found nothing. As I said before, his death was to early for the cemetery, so that just about leaves 'Church in the Wood' in St Leonards. The church and churchyard was being used a lot at the time by the residents of White Rock, basically because there church (Holy Trinity) was in the course of construction, but didn't have a churchyard.

Chris in 1066

Ebonyuk72

Postby Ebonyuk72 » Tue May 20, 2014 7:50 pm

I have a full list of Burials at Church in the Wood and there are no Hardie's buried there at all. Sorry.

SandraD

Postby SandraD » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 am

Hello
I am trying to find the final resting place of Isabel Maude Klean also known as Bluebell (and occasionally Maud Gilson!).
She died Feb 28 1950 in Hastings but so far no trace of a burial location can be found here or elsewhere.
I wanted to rule out local graveyards eg Church in the Wood and would be very grateful if anyone with access to burial lists for local churches would be able to check them for Isabel/Bluebell please.
Thanks.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:11 pm

Regarding Elliot Hardie, deceased 1853,
Gerry is quite right, there are often many gaps in the system, various reasons for this, damage to records, loss of paperwork, wartime bombing damage, etcetera.
Unless a diligent person, interested in local history, goes round and actually checks all the visible graves and even then burial records may often be incomplete.
Perhaps search Gavin Hardie, assuming he was probably buried in the same place?

Return to “Lost Relatives / Friends”