Lost at sea

Looking for someone in the Hastings area, try posting a message here
cbe

Lost at sea

Postby cbe » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:17 pm

Looking for suggestions as to how to proceed. According to family stories my ancestor Edward Adams (bn 1813 at Providence Row) went out fishing with his father Frederick George Adams (in about 1923/26). The boat was wrecked, Edward was never seen again, Frederick was washed up on the beach where he remained all night. Never been able to find ANY record to substantiate this although Edward never again seems to feature in records. IF the story is correct and Edward was washed away and never found (in an identifiable state anyway) would the death be registered? If so, how much
time do you think would elapse before the death could be recorded?

Gerry Glyde

Re: Lost at sea

Postby Gerry Glyde » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Hi
I assume that the date of the fishing voyage was 1823/1826 if the year of birth is correct, and not 1923.
If it was in the early 1800s there was not any formal system of recording a death. Burials are recorded in the parish records and bishops transcripts. It is possible that it may have been reported in a local paper although newspapers at the time were very small.

If you confirm the approximate date I will do a quick search in newspapers of the time

cbe

Postby cbe » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:25 am

Hi Gerry, thanks for taking an interest in this for me. I am afraid
my typo was with the birth year - it should read 1913

cbe

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:00 am

Hi
As a member of the Adams clan you will know that it is a common name in the Old Town, as was both Edward and Frederick. I have have found two newspaper references - but not to the specific incident that you have mentioned although they have similarities with name and one of the type of incidents. And then one other involving a Frederick Adams to whom you may be connected, that you may find of interest.

1) In 1911 an Edward Adams, a fisherman, found a body in the sea off of Hastings that was brought to shore in conjunction with the coastguard
2) An Edward F Adams gave evidence at an Inquest into the sudden death of his friend Mr Boulton in 1925
3) A summons for assault against a Frederick Adams and his wife Kate brought by a next door neighbour, Martha Waters - and a counter summons against Martha, by the Adams, both of which were dismissed,in August 1903, The alleged assaults had happened after a wedding party.

I suggest that the best source of information concerning any fishing incident would be the Hastings Fisherman's Institute who are situated in All Saint's Street. They are listed by a search on the internet. If the accident happened then they are most likely to have a record of it as they were set up for the welfare of fishing families. As an alternative Hastings House who are a history project based in Courthouse Street may have a record of it from their research into old town history, again they are on the internet.

Any missing person may be formally regarded as being dead after 7 years, however that is only usually necessary where any money, property divorce/remarriage is involved. As a child, Edward's disappearance would not require a formal designation of death. Although you have been unable to find any further evidence of Edward's life, such a situation is not uncommon. It is possible that the lad may have emigrated or that a family estrangement arose as a result of an incident and that he moved elsewhere, perhaps even changing his name and having no further family contact.

cbe

Postby cbe » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Gerry many thanks indeed. Will look further into these - certain that
the third item is mine. My Frederick's wife was indeed called Kate AND
there was a wedding in the family (his sister Ellen to Thomas Gasson) in
July 1903 - be sure your sins will find you out.
We come down to Hastings most years but never knew that the Fisherman's
Institute was anything more than a club - never thought of them having
records. Again many thanks for the time you have spent on this

cbe

Gerry Glyde

Postby Gerry Glyde » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:10 pm

If you would like me to send you a copy of the press report on the case send me your email address by private message. Click on my name in the message and it should direct to a private message option.

Fishermen's Institute

http://www.hastingsfish.co.uk/contact.htm

cbe

Postby cbe » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:24 am

Gerry - great stuff - just received the snippet about Frederick
and Kate's contretemp with Martha Waters.....After seeing addresses too
there is no doubt at all that these are my people - oh the shame !!!

Many thanks indeed

Jaynefl

Postby Jaynefl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:07 pm

Hi been looking for my ancestors and came across this, my great grandmother and grandfather are Ellen Adams and Thomas gassons. They are my grandmothers parents. Been searching her family tree and Ellen's father was Robert and mother was mary Jemima gallop. If anyone is related I would be interested in hearing from you..thank you

Return to “Lost Relatives / Friends”