HAYLER, REED and other Hastings Families

Looking for someone in the Hastings area, try posting a message here
Chris Page

HAYLER, REED and other Hastings Families

Postby Chris Page » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:13 am

Some of my ancestors lived in the Hastings area and I am wondering if any of their descendants who could be related to me, are still living in the area? If you recognise any of the following names, or know someone with one of the surnames living in the Hastings area, then please get in touch with me.

My great great grandfather was Frederick HAYLER, baptised 1835 at Sedlescombe who married Hannah PORTER, baptised 1836 at Brightling. They moved to Hastings by 1858 where they had five children, including Emily HAYLER (my great grandmother) who married Henry GOLLOP in London, but lived most of their married life in Hastings. They had nine children, including Lucy Ellen GOLLOP who married my grandfather William John PAGE in 1899 at Hastings. My grandfather’s sister, Dorothy Francis PAGE 1905, married Harry Robert WEBBER, whose family ran Webber’s Motors and the Bo-Peep public house at St Leonards. Another daughter of Emily and Henry GOLLOP was Annie (Nancy) GOLLOP 1888 who married Sydney Thomas THWAITES and another daughter Edith (Kathleen) GOLLOP 1886 who married Arthur Edward CACKETT..

A son of Hannah and Frederick HAYLER was Edward HAYLER 1857 who married Sarah Jane GRAY. They had nine children, including Annie Maria HAYLER 1875 who married William Arthur Alfred Clark STUNT and had three children: Lillian (Lily) STUNT 1901 who married Albert James Walter Ewart WINBORN; William Frederick STUNT 1906 who married Elsie M STRETTEN, and Dorothy Edith Louisa STUNT 1913 who married Robert G BOREHAM. A son was Frederick William HAYLER, 1884 who married Emily Jane OXLEY and had five children, including Edward Frederick Jack HAYLER 1910 who married Doris M PHILLIPS and had six children, including Beryl C HAYLER 1931 who married Bryan SHRIMPTON; Margaret Dorothy HAYLER 1933 who married Norman Austin BANE; John E HAYLER 1934 who married Mavis SMALES; Eileen HAYLER 1935 who married William B RALPH and Brian F HAYLER 1937 who married Gillian C BAKER.

Edward and Sarah HAYLER’s daughter was Violet Lilian HAYLER 1912 who married Basil L COLE.and had a son Michael J COLE 1935, and another daughter was Louisa Jane HAYLER, 1915 who married James William Wallace FELLOWS.

Another daughter of Hannah and Frederick HAYLER was Louisa HAYLER, 1895 who married Harold Plesents SMITH and had a son Edward H SMITH 1931.

Frederick HAYLER 1835 wife Hannah died in 1863 and he married Caroline ROBERTS in 1865 and had a daughter Annie HAYLER 1866. In 1889 she married William Robert REED 1862 from Burwash and lived their lives in Hastings where they had six children, including Arthur Horace REED 1891 who married Annie T F WARREN, and William Frederick REED 1889 who married Jubilee Alexandra PIPER and had five children: Roy REED 1928, Betty Irene REED 1929 who married Hubert F W SHOESMITH, Dennis J REED 1930 who married Muriel D HATCH, Primrose M REED 1932 who married William J WHALE, Jean M REED 1935 who married Donald J COUSSENS. Annie and William REED’s other children were Charles Albert REED 1890, Frank Sidney REED 1893, George Edward REED 1901 and Florence Annie REED 1905.

By coincidence, William Robert REED was the son of Harriet PAGE 1838 from Burwash who was the younger sister of John PAGE 1842, the father of my grandfather William John PAGE and my great grandfather. I am therefore related to the HAYLER family through two different branches!

Return to “Lost Relatives / Friends”